[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 13:26:27 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
SECTION IV
/ d( u  y% M* I1 ?" L5 S, e3 x( n- |: d2 _% W
Time—35 minutes
4 Y7 _4 K& T2 W3 \$ z: {
" U' s4 b, |3 G( G) U1 B/ x26 Questions
, z& q0 U( S' k  g# M8 i) _' i6 j: r  \$ [1 T
Directions: The questions in this section are based on the reasoning contained in brief statements or passages. For some questions, more than one of the choices could conceivably answer the question. However you are to choose the best answer that is, the response that most accurately and completely answers the question. You should not make assumptions that are by commonsense standards implausible, superfluous, or incompatible with the passage. After you have chosen the best answer, blacken the corresponding space on you answer sheet.
  u: R' w4 q! p) P
4 Y- o8 J6 e$ \4 y3 M6 o6 {' d1. The government should enact a bill that would prohibit the sale and consumption of alcohol on commuter trains. Recently, the state, exercising its legitimate authority, passed a law to protect the health of commuters by prohibiting smoking on the commuter line. When intoxicated riders get off the train, get in their cars, and drive, the public is exposed to at least as much danger as are nonsmoking rail passengers who are forced to inhale cigarette smoke.& [# E1 c( m2 [/ V# n

, @1 F& e5 l% Z; I" u9 L' sIn arguing that alcohol consumption on commuter trains should be banned, the author relies on7 {; E2 A" Z' h* E; L

: o( |- h0 Z" J# o(A) the fact that drinking alcohol is dangerous to one’s health
1 J! l* V$ o* X( D+ y/ |* F
3 o. X( t$ H) n(B) the principle that people need to be protected from their own actions
- x; c' _/ Z; A' M  \  H" q  C# }# f- G! s# D  ?3 J$ ~: M7 \3 Z4 I
(C) the use of emotionally charged descriptions of smoking and drinking alcohol& T  n4 J5 J# I) [  k

$ s" E0 B- V0 E0 J/ L+ U* `(D) the reader’s sympathy for the problems of commuters9 ?0 ]) S. l& T: o6 q

& v- R2 h. ]$ W, I: H(E) a comparison between the effects of smoking and the effects of drinking alcohol . v# U# o; N7 }" C: g- ^

: \' `& p3 T- h; t3 f2. Creating false marble is an art at which only those with a light hand can excel. Picasso, however, was a great artist, so while he did not have a light hand he could have excelled at creating false marble.
1 Q" z9 A% E- {) c) ~, [0 W, X" t- K2 b( \$ y) F% o
Which one of the following contains a logical error that most closely resembles the logical error contained in the passage?( p* h$ j# c# }
9 j2 R$ {  w" l8 ]/ Z! Q
(A) The police have determined that the murderer left his fingerprints on the knife. Ira’s fingerprints do not match those on the knife, so we can eliminate him as a suspect.
# g% ]8 X/ q' ], h
$ t9 ]) |" A& D- z( k(B) It is true that it is necessary to work hard in order to succeed. However, smith was governor of the state, so it was possible for him to succeed without working hard., x# _+ R. ^- d8 \% ?6 k

- p9 Z. ?% x; ~6 o8 O. T5 b* h/ ?1 ](C) Whenever I eat nuts of any kind I break out in hives. After eating the pie I did not break out, so I know it could not have been real pecan pie./ z& g0 _5 t7 I" x* Y/ W3 j
# E2 q* \$ g$ q2 x  R7 `
(D) If the inventory can be sold within the next few months the business can be saved. However, since a sale cannot be concluded quickly, the business will go under.
* O8 K1 c: [: G& Z# x) E- f
. L. w/ k2 a: Z  U(E) Only the brave deserve the spoils. Major Wilson has distinguished himself several times for bravery, so surely he deserves the spoils.
' W; X2 h6 L; z$ O; O% V( X, \" U* t" q" |8 j0 _7 y: l" M
3. Class: War and peace are mutually exclusive. Therefore, a nation cannot be preparing for both war and peace simultaneously.4 ?: w- I$ j( f; z# V0 A

- I! }& k, L$ ~( ?2 t( fStanislaus: But aren’t the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. doing precisely that? They are spending vast amounts of money on war research and armaments while at the same time they are negotiating trade agreements and nuclear arms treaties that are designed to secure peace. Although they are maintaining a shaky peaceful coexistence, they are preparing for both war and peace simultaneously.
8 e0 R$ @. u: C) p1 H3 q
; F8 l9 `( X, h1 ?$ OIn order to refute Cass’s conclusion, Stanislaus0 M( \" ~0 D* H

3 Y! `3 C; z& |7 y  F1 q: r(A) demonstrates that a nation can be at war and at peace at the same time9 L9 w3 S7 I! ?1 q2 F' B
- p8 q& t3 l. I  P
(B) points out that there are several different meanings to the words “war” and “peace”2 G3 ]( z2 n7 [4 O0 Q

" K/ n+ l0 {3 @& ~# Z: m% {(C) uses a different meaning for the term “simultaneously” than Cass does9 h/ p# R/ G+ x6 z0 v) _
. T* e5 G) M, Q$ Y
(D) shows that preparing for war and preparing for peace are not mutually exclusive
' R9 k6 J3 H  ]1 [/ h/ a* L) c$ Q' m; u7 |
(E) changes an argument based on a definition into one based on an ethical consideration
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 14:27 , Processed in 0.366900 second(s), 21 queries .