立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 342|回复: 0

法学院入学考试模拟试题测试(上)b

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 13:26:27 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
10. Audiences find a speaker more convincing if the speaker begins a speech by arguing briefly against his or her position before providing reasons for accepting it. The reason this technique is so effective is that it makes the speaker appear fair-minded and trustworthy. Therefore, candiadates for national political office who wish to be argumentative technique in their speeches.  
3 Z& f! E; E$ Y8 [5 q5 L/ f& j: o2 ~/ c. ~7 l* k4 j4 U
  Which one of the following, if true, most seriously limits the effectiveness of adopting the argument’s recommendation?  6 B! C) i* j' C+ ]& J9 u
. g+ |/ u, l8 {! b0 {
  (A) Political candidates typically have no control over which excerpts from their speeches will be reported by the news media.  : U$ B" \; l5 |2 [

: C/ G2 H2 ~5 z% Y& j1 R  (B) Many people do not find arguments made by politicians convincing, since the arguments are often one-sided or oversimplify the issues.   
$ o- D$ [; O: Q) p" Q0 Y1 r: Z* `+ j, Y% r" x6 ?' k. m% f5 G9 V2 A  P4 z
  Which one of the following, if assumed, allows the conclusion above to be properly drawn?  ) [- Z* E; j  y! a+ B& D  I. e
 (A) None of the scripts used in films released in 1992 were written by professional novelists.  ) B3 `% U5 r9 {; q6 E

* t6 J/ E* o9 ~% Z- B* M4 e  (B) None of the films released in country Z in 1992 were based on books other than novels.
% I9 D& |8 D" a5 C5 Y9 G# _1 P# ~" r! J0 W
  (C) None of the books that were published in country Z in 1992 were based on plots of films released in 1991.  
+ N4 {( ^& F; [: C2 g/ }  V2 ^+ E' V7 E, c
  (D) Some of the films released in country Z in 1992 for the first time many years earlier.  7 p" m7 D7 ^+ [- E% y6 v5 m5 y6 K
- e5 g8 C; D0 B! a4 ~3 ^) L6 c
  (E) Some of the films released in 1991 in country Z were based on novels that were published in 1991  
+ J- N! t; d0 w: z3 g2 M$ X8 Z0 b! f/ A( t# U. G
  12. On their way from their nest to a food source, ants of most species leave a trail of chemicals called pheromones. The ants use the scent of the pheromones to guide themselves between the food and their nest. All pheromones evaporate without a trace almost immediately when temperatures rise above 45 degrees Clesius (113 degrees Fahrenheit), as is typical during afternoons in places such as the Sahara Desert.  ; N* S- e: u$ l; ^: M6 w- y, W

* t/ \/ X( A- @! x0 Z% e  The statements above, if true, most strongly support which one of the following?  
8 g0 x7 o1 S6 Q3 I8 g (A) Most ants forage for food either only in the morning or only during the night.  
& n6 j; }% c( e& c/ ^" q1 |: O- p5 w* c5 N0 _$ H+ Q* ^. V+ r% |
  (B) Most ants that do not use pheromones to mark the paths they take between their nest and food live in the Sahara Desert.  - k+ c: R1 ?2 j9 b1 }
( S$ E" L% X  i) Y
  (C) If any ants live in the Sahara Desert and forage for food at no time but in afternno, those ants generally do not use pheromones to guide themselves between food and their nest.  % u4 e# \; [6 [6 P6 z. [
0 c3 b( z6 Y" Y* t1 B. m; S
  (D) If any ants do not use pheromones to navigate between food and their nest, those ants use a different substance that does not evaporate in temperatures above 45 degrees Celsius.  ! X* A' v1 P1 o0 i6 ^, ~6 X& X
- F1 h; k* E8 B$ \  I% `
  (E) If any Saharan ants forage for food in the afternoon, those ants forage for food less efficiently when temperatures are above 45 degrees Celsius than they do when temperatures are lower.    Z4 O) J/ c4 |

" p/ ~+ S) g# p  Assuming that the author’s statements are accurate, which one of the following statements CANNOT be true?  
& P' T* ~" o7 O- H2 Y( f% \* B8 N
3 C! i4 N" m' t  (A) Some people think all politicians are rotten  , z" B' _/ S$ S! S5 t/ c
 (B) Some politicians are scrupulously honest.  ; `4 Y1 i; W3 y; z8 F2 a3 j. a- V
) y- C) I9 j7 h/ n" O4 W* u
  (C) Some poeple define a politician’s job as obeying the rules of society  
) H- b( E7 q3 D5 Z9 P; A
" Y! n1 A9 [. J4 R  (D) Some deceitful politicians are ineffective.  
! I% C; Z6 F2 ?8 K1 R: R9 t( U
# r; H( P7 J( U0 B+ @+ b  (E) Some scrupulously honest politicians are effective.  . M9 D$ o" A6 G. H8 {) t% V
7 C5 {5 b' F) b6 {& A
  14. The Biocarb Company wants to build a sterilization plant to treat contaminated medical waste in a city neighborhood where residents and environmental activists fear that such a facility will pollute the area. Biocarb’s president argues that the operation of the plant cannot cause pollution because the waste would be sterile after processing by the plant. He claims that after exposure for an hour to superheated steam in the autoclave, such refuse would be far cleaner than food prepared in the cleanest kitchen.  
# B6 ?7 q1 B4 v; q/ [  The president’s argument depends on which one of the following assumptions?  # _6 r$ s  W- s9 S9 S- A$ l6 Y
) W+ p* _9 l; [* {! O+ h* C% d
  (A) Environmental activists believe that waste treated with steam will not pollute.  
9 a$ Q. F4 B0 X* c0 P+ C$ M0 z
  R. A- {  u" e# d  P1 C  (B) Handling of the waste before treatment in the proposed facility will not pose a threat of pollution to the area.  9 c! I% [) p* ?8 N- Z
(C) Fear of pollution is the only argument against construction of an autoclave facility for medical waste.  
% B* K" J" r4 ^: s: }' Q0 C4 Z% S. `# |: |2 Y( x1 y
  (D) No others besides environmental activists are concerned about pollution hazards that can result from processing medical waste.  + c4 G0 G/ I0 E5 `: m9 f$ O0 m
1 t5 R( N9 L2 w2 L9 x. q
  (E) Treatment by superheated steam represents the surest method of sterilization.
( G9 h: p; Y( W, _1 l8 D  L5 |& g+ u( P7 A) r/ Z' \( _- u
  15. Grow-Again ointment is a proven treatment for reversing male hereditary baldness. Five drops daily is the recommended does and exceeding this quantity does not increase the product’s effectiveness. Therefoe, offering a manufacturer’s rebate on the purchase price of Grow-Again will not increase sales and consequently would be unprofitable for the manufacturer.  
* e) l8 W$ A* [& e- P  w
' o' c' s$ M5 ~8 z/ @5 r3 D  Which one of the following, if true, would most strengthen the argument?   
: t: D, B! A3 |; S- y) d7 L8 s) _
  (A) When using an ointment, people tend to believe that applying it in greater quantities can make it more effective.  
$ s' v& c2 N: S) U' f
0 y" K' w6 n/ D7 B+ ?$ r2 S  (B) Grow-Again is more effective on some of the men who use it than it is on others.  7 g" y* V- Z  Q, ?4 I3 I

, ?" ^8 E" M. \) _  (C) The rebate, if offered, would not attract purchasers who otherwise might not use Grow-Again.  
+ y+ t7 [0 Z( o9 W0 x& t1 j" y1 v# x: t; n, x* J- `
  (D) Baldness in men can be caused by a variety of factors, only one of which is heredity.  5 a( ^3 ^5 O/ P" d6 c
, |, ^" q) l2 ?0 P% R5 j  y. L; V' b
  (E) Grow-Again is a product whose per-unit manufacturing cost does not fall significantly when the product is produced in lareg quantities.  0 U0 e3 Z$ g. @3 \" ?1 i1 F
" j6 {' n/ J, L
  Questions 16-17
- I  I' _/ h* Z7 q' U  K  H- a
& c/ y* f: u  }7 G( _$ \7 M8 ?  Henry: Some scientists explain the dance of honeybees as the means by which honeybees communicate the location of whatever food source they have just visited to other members of the hive. But honeybees do not need so complicated a mechanism to communicate that information. Forager honeybees returning to their hive simply leave a scent trail from the food source they have just visited. There must therefore be some other explanation for the honeybees dance.   * Q4 u9 z# W- E' x8 |* m4 f
1 _$ }7 U0 a4 x) h  Q
  Winifred: Not necessarily. Most ammals have several ways of accomplishing critical tasks. Bees of some species can navigate using either the position of the Sun or the memory of landmarks. Similarly, for honeybees, scent trails are a supplementary, for honeybees, scent trails are a supplementary not an exclusive means of communicating  3 @7 y& L2 Z0 Z9 i

1 }( j2 F; A. U2 F4 j" L* y. S 16. The poin: at issue between Henry and Wintred is whether  
% ~; x- @4 p' u, H0 Y" e5 n1 E" a: o5 s! \/ F. `, t/ X
  (A) theories of animal behavior can be established on the basis of evidence about only one species of animal  9 x3 O1 d5 K: h* m

3 r& z  l+ H/ J; E4 I/ W  (B) there is more than one valid explanation for the dance of honeybees  
0 ~  D4 n! \2 C8 E
4 N9 [& a/ F, l; K: [  (C) honeybess communicate the location of food sources through their dance  
9 X. a& D. t9 y  B  X& w/ ~7 ?& J6 W/ p  X4 y7 ~9 m+ J5 H7 e; Z
  (D) the honeybee is the only species of bee that is capable of communicating navigational informatin to other hive members.  - N4 w: t" x; X9 t% Y( A

" F: f1 j8 ?' P" p8 W1 \# e  (E) the honeybee’s sense of smell plays a role in its foraging strategies.  
3 q# @* z" F0 N; n$ V  17. In Winifred’s response to Henry, the statement about how bees of some species navigate plays which one of the following roles?  
% E+ C, Q2 k" {' a
( o0 z. ~. b6 n. E0 M4 g  (A) It addresses an ambiguity in Henry’s use of the expression "communicate he location"  " ]8 h# {8 n; E0 {& Z

: h7 s7 ?2 b$ C1 u' u6 y/ q5 @  (B) It provides evidence in support of a general claim  ( K. g3 W  o! O: H% U  W7 P

6 L# I" c2 a1 I6 m1 |1 V  U  (C) It calls into question the accuracy of key evidence cited by Henry.  
) s/ H$ G) {$ ~$ Q8 s9 `! V4 l! I  @  Z& G0 [5 u$ q
  (D) It points out that Henry’s conclusion directly contradicts one of his premises.  
( I. W. a9 x+ h, R / Q, S& D: x3 ?4 s9 W0 H
    (E) It proposes an alternative explanation for the honeybees’ dance.
- f$ ^- O! o! f  x* W( A6 ^$ {
8 R3 C; e# P6 y- m" ~  18. Politician: A government that taxes incomes at a rate of 100 percent will generate no revenue because all economic activity will cease. So it follows that the lower the rate of income tax, the more revenue the government will generate by that tax.  
+ W  R5 @' h  H: Y% F% r5 j# ]3 X8 e& E
  Economist: Your conclusion cannot be correct,since it would mean that an income tax of 0 percent would generate the maximum revenue.
' T( d3 X3 J' {  L$ L
3 w: _0 M8 a' ^6 l0 e* B7 V  Which one of the following argumentative strategies is used by the economist in responding to the politician?  
  R' O* T; e% o  Z6 O7 A- K. A( \9 c1 p$ [( \4 `
  (A) stating a general principle that is incompatible with the conclusion the politician derives.  
0 c0 B0 y- y4 c  (B) providing evidence that where the politician’s advice has been adopted, the results have been disappointing  ( Q0 Q/ K4 s1 P* B
% U* C/ P" Z4 y) P) D" _" H
  (C) arguing that the principle derived by the politician, if applied in the limiting case, leads to an absurdly false conclusion  
% I. \1 Z  z8 R7 |1 [# y' F# ^5 I. ^3 y* d7 b
  (D) undermining the credibility of the politician by openly questioning the politician’s understanding of economics  2 }% N, ?7 [/ b: ~
 (E) attacking the politician’s argument by giveing reason to doubt the truth of a premise
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-19 13:40 , Processed in 0.274400 second(s), 21 queries .