立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 314|回复: 0

LSAT模拟试题:LSAT模拟试题TEST3逻辑1c

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 13:26:27 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
 Questions 17-18  Zelda: Dr. Ladlow, a research psychologist, has convincingly demonstrated that his theory about the determinants of rat behavior generates consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze On the basis of this evidence; Dr. Ladlow has claimed that his theory is irrefutably correct.% }& s- H( w! G! I% n
  Anson: Then Dr. ladlow is not responsible psychologist. Dr. ladlow's evidence does not conclusively prove that his theory is correct. Responsible psychologists always accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect.; z0 v( I6 X  {6 i2 Z# w; x) N
  17. Which one of the following can be properly inferred from Anson's argument?- S' _- V1 _2 c  x, A2 ]
  (A) Dr. Ladlow's evidence that his theory generates consistently accurate predictions about how rates will perform in a maze is inaccurate
0 }) O( ~2 g/ g. q; p7 @  (B) Psychologists who can derive consistently accurate predictions about how rats will perform in a maze from their theories cannot responsibly conclude that those theories cannot be disproved
1 u2 M% n2 h) Z/ M& j; I$ E  (C) No matter how responsible psychologists are, they can never develop correct theoretical explanations.' r% _7 U- w+ X+ N8 ^4 z; {
  (D) Responsible psychologists do not make predictions about how rats will perform in a maze3 Q: @! y/ _% X2 q! n0 j
  (E) Psychologists who accept the possibility that new evidence will show that their theories are incorrect are responsible psychologists.
7 Y- |. h- ^. p; y4 x$ @4 {  18. Anson bases his conclusion about Dr. Ladlow on which one of the following?6 c; q+ r- y6 [
  (A) An attack on Dr. Ladlow's character
8 O" P) D; t- U# S0 [" I  (B) The application of a general principle2 E2 R6 i/ d; K) i4 k$ `1 a$ _
  (C) The use of an ambiguous term
2 a6 D3 S; Q$ ~9 ~9 P  (D) The discrediting of facts
9 j5 A" h1 }/ x9 `* W: s2 Y  (E) The rejection of a theoretical explanation
; ^4 k) B- g5 S' r" ]% a  19. Smith: Meat in the diet is healthy, despite what some people say. After all, most doctors do eat meat, and who knows more about health than doctors do?
. a! M* G3 W/ ~) h+ F8 ~5 B8 w  Which one of the following is a flaw in Smith's reasoning?
4 s8 B  b) t' \' s6 l2 Z& Y  (A) Attacking the opponents' motives instead of their argument
- N2 R2 C  s+ H; K) o+ c  (B) Generalizing on the basis of a sample consisting of a typical cases5 i, X' t- I: p2 y! N5 Z, u: o
  (C) Assuming at the outset what the argument claims to establish through reasoning0 ~7 ~8 Z4 h) u8 ?
  (D) Appealing to authority, even when different authorities give conflicting advice about an issue
2 p( `, V" J$ D/ M$ Z, b) ]  (E) Taking for granted that experts do not act counter to what, according to their expertise, in their best interest
. z, d6 a7 t) q$ z( ?  20. The rise in the prosperity of England subsequent to 1840 can be attributed to the adoption of the policy of free trade, since economic conditions improved only when that policy had been implemented
0 E5 O; N' L$ u5 w* z: B  The reasoning in the above argument most closely parallels that in which one of the following?
- d8 y+ f9 N% W% U# y  (A) An exhaustive search of the marshes last year revealed no sign of marsh hawks, so it can be assumed that a similar search this year would reveal equally little sign of that kind of bird- r' b0 P* d( U8 M5 F
  (B) Building a circular bypass road around Plainfield probably helped the flow of local traffic in the town center, since a circular bypass road generally cuts a city's through traffic markedly.0 `) d4 T: E% c& m4 h% c2 q
  (C) Before the banks raised their interest rates, people on average incomes could almost afford a mortgage for an amount twice their salary. Hence the rate increase has now put mortgages beyond their reach.
/ R' ]% S8 s9 i* u' L4 W  (D) Since the improvement in the company's profitability began to occur after the vice president's new morale-building program was put in place, that program can be credited with the improved result.
! k/ \& D7 O* \, C4 L1 {  (E) The extinction of the dinosaurs was brought about by an asteroid colliding with Earth, so their extinction could not have come before the collision.3 v; m; m# _$ u+ O- R& G5 k; L
  21. During construction of the Quebec Bridge in 1907, the bridge's designer, Theodore Cooper, received word that the suspended span being built out from the bridge's cantilever was deflecting downward by fraction of an inch. Before he could telegraph to freeze the project, the whole cantilever arm broke off and plunged, along with seven dozens workers, into the St. Lawrence River. It was the worst bridge construction disaster in history. As a direct result of the inquiry that followed, the engineering “rules of thumb” by which thousands of bridges had been built went down with the Quebec Bridge Twentieth-century bridge engineers would thereafter depend on far more rigorous applications of mathematical analysis.- p' v0 e1 ^/ }7 v* k5 t1 U9 G: i8 A
  Which one of the following statements can be properly inferred from the passage?
0 t7 t# N: M8 v  z+ ]! T( w. Q" `  (A) Bridges built before about 1907 were built without thorough mathematical analysis and therefore, were unsafe for the public to use& G/ I* i, ]" Y' Y3 }! H# ^
  (B) Cooper's absence from the Quebec Bridge construction site resulted in the breaking off of the cantilever.* W8 H) T! \' S+ y. V# J6 u3 n) ]
  (C) Nineteenth-century bridge engineers relied o their rules of thumb because analytical methods were inadequate to solve their design problems.
5 I, t' z( Y9 }' a( W  (D) Only a more rigorous application of mathematical analysis to the design of the Quebec Bridge could have prevented its collapse  {4 g. F* v, Q$ h7 ~
  (E) Prior to 1907 the mathematical analysis incorporated in engineering rules of thumb was insufficient to completely assure the safety of bridges under construction.3 }! R% C) B1 ~6 {# ]$ S4 F% x
  22. Most children find it very difficult to explain exactly what the words they use mean when those words do not refer to things that can be seen or touched. Yet since children are able to use these words to convey the feelings and emotions they are obviously experiencing, understanding what a word means clearly does not depend on being able to explain it.# Q& h, C3 K) V1 I
  Which one of the following principles, if accepted, would provide the most justification for the conclusion?0 c  Q5 p  i# O5 C+ v5 _
  (A) The fact that a task is very difficult for most people does not mean that no one can do it.
+ w' a) |' I, m5 c8 w  (B) Anyone who can provide an exact explanation of a word has a clear understanding of what that word means.
" N) F2 ~" Q: [3 S/ Z" U" l* t  (C) Words that refer to emotions invariably have less narrowly circumscribed conventional meanings than do word that refer to physical objects.
0 L3 a' i# }( i+ p  (D) When someone appropriately uses a word to convey something that he or she is experiencing, that person understands what that word mean.
# U  J& y3 l' i: f7 n$ d9 x  (E) Words can be explained satisfactorily only when they refer to things that can be seen or touched+ L$ }3 i! S/ s9 `$ T/ x2 q% Q1 i
  Questions 23 – 24
$ z2 a) z. g3 R6 Q# ]. x  The brains of identical twins are genetically identical. When only one of a pair of identical twins is a schizophrenic, certain areas of the affected twin's brain are smaller than corresponding areas in the brain of the unaffected twin. No such differences are found when neither twin is schizophrenic. Therefore, this discovery provides definitive evidence that schizophrenia is caused by damage to the physical structure of the brain.
8 L7 Q6 c* H3 G" W  23. Which one of the following is an assumption required by the argument?
6 ]+ \/ E% Y0 w, C: ^  (A) The brain of person suffering from schizophrenia is smaller than the brain of anyone not suffering from schizophrenia
* e+ P" C. N) C" E4 U( j: T  (B) The relative smallness of certain parts of the brains of schizophrenics is not the result of schizophrenia or of medications used in its treatment.0 ]8 m6 I5 }+ z/ z1 H) a
  (C) The brain of a person with an identical twines no smaller, on average, than the brain of person who is not twines.
  w& z# O9 b2 S* B7 y  (D) When a pair of identical twins both suffer from schizophrenia, their brains are the same size
! W/ M; r) [7 h# R) N, ^  (E) People who have an identical twin are no more likely to suffer from schizophrenia than those who do not.7 k6 f7 K' ?+ ]7 d! s
  24. If the statements on which the conclusion above is based are all true, each of the following cold be true EXCEPT:
& l( M! z" U5 |+ X3 _. D3 H  @9 F  (A) People who lack a genetic susceptibility for the disease will not develop schizophrenia
+ Q$ B5 c; s9 @5 U1 C9 W/ O2 k( i+ m  (B) Medications can control most of the symptoms of schizophrenia inmost patients but will never be able to cure it.
, t* g6 Q: e; P& _# |& [- C2 t4 \  (C) The brains of schizophrenics share many of the characteristics found in those of people without the disorder.
% r5 j; w6 u( h2 |/ J5 g  (D) It will eventually be possible to determine whether or not some one will develop schizophrenia on the basis of genetic information alone
6 j2 K/ u; }8 g! o  (E) Brain abnormalities associated with schizophrenia are the result of childhood viral infections that inhibit the development of brain cells.
* o, t" A: R8 M  25. Sixty adults were asked to keep a diary of their meals, including what they consumed, when, and in the company of how many people, It was found that at meals with which they drank alcoholic beverages, they consumed about 175 calories more from nonalcoholic source than they did at meals with which they did not drink alcoholic beverages." m2 n/ N5 J  K7 c! u. O
  Each of the following, if true, contributes to an explanation of the difference in caloric intake EXCEPT:  Q% q/ F2 S$ P1 o. J/ }: D4 \0 f
  (A) Diners spent a much longer time at meals served with alcohol than they did at those serve with out alcohol.
. Z  y3 s2 `% N* R& V9 |! O. [  (B) The meals eaten later in the day tended to be larger than those eaten earlier in the day, and later meals were more likely to include alcohol.
8 m! K8 D9 L) u$ x$ b* p  (C) People eat more when there are more people present at the meal, and more people tended to be present at meal served with alcohol than at meals served without alcohol.
: M0 h0 k" v- ?! [* z0 K  (D) The meals that were most carefully prepared and most attractively served tended to be those at which alcoholic beverages were consumed0 ?+ i: J+ \, h1 s
  (E) At meals that included alcohol, relatively more of the total calories consumed came from carbohydrates and relatively fewer of them came from fats and proteins
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 15:49 , Processed in 0.188574 second(s), 21 queries .