立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 301|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT阅读资料第19篇

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 22:16:44 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Traditionally, the first firm to commercialize a new technology has benefited from the unique opportunity to shape product definitions, forcing followers to adapt to a standard or invest in an unproven alternative. Today, how- ( 5) ever, the largest payoffs may go to companies that lead in developing integrated approaches for successful mass production and distribution.% ~* v% M1 f* N. g) O

, j9 J; ?( U- [" j  Producers of the Beta format for videocassette recorders (VCR's), for example, were first to develop the VCR com- (10) mercially in 1975, but producers of the rival VHS (Video Home System) format proved to be more successful at forming strategic alliances with other producers and distributors to manufacture and market their VCR format Seeking to maintain exclusive control over VCR distri- (15) bution. Beta producers were reluctant to form such alli- ances and eventually lost ground to VHS in the compe- tition for the global VCR market.
6 h$ V/ I+ E+ B2 s5 H/ [& v, Z( L9 @8 |7 f7 n( J
  Despite Beta's substantial technological head start and the fact that VHS was neither technically better nor cheaper (20) than Beta, developers of VHS quickly turned a slight early lead in sales into a dominant position. Strategic alignments with producers of prerecorded tapes reinforced the VHS advantage. The perception among consumers that prere- corded tapes were more available in VHS format further (25) expanded VHS's share of the market. By the end of the 1980's. Beta was no longer in production.  h5 @6 E5 h5 B) Z  k- ^& j# u& B
$ {* S9 v$ l1 i* n7 w7 z
  1. The passage is primarily concerned with which of the following?9 V0 F& R" L3 I$ o! V  g! s
  B$ K4 ]$ }( d- I3 P
  (A) Evaluating two competing technologies
- x- z3 M, |% q4 N; z4 Y- W% ?" X0 z2 K2 F
  (B) Tracing the impact of a new technology by narrating a sequence of events
7 D3 }, }, Z# C  T" U1 @
" c! s" y8 X4 M) k/ K8 \3 Y# T& f  (C) Reinterpreting an event from contemporary business history
/ C- Z. T3 B" X. g4 x! l# d; {1 B* \2 }+ y$ ^/ a
  (D) illustrating a business strategy by means of a case history1 b: _) e/ v6 ~7 I
5 k: K4 e: ]. `9 X
  (E) Proposing an innovative approach to business planning
7 h5 ^& b* n1 a     2. According to the passage, today's successful firms, unlike successful firms in the past, may earn the greatest profits by
. W+ |! @& e: C: |6 O' u
1 [+ j. N2 n  T& c  (A) investing in research to produce cheaper versions of existing technology
& |+ T4 Y' L8 ^- l' s! n# ?" O& x2 Q: Y! t
  (B) being the first to market a competing technology
  B0 _0 g" B! W2 i6 _, q7 S2 u
5 ~# F1 _8 T$ x+ `  (C) adapting rapidly to a technological standard previously set by a competing firm
7 g) x' {) I0 e( h( d5 c  q9 \* P2 ]9 j% n# R* G& G( B
  (D) establishing technological leadership in order to shape product definitions in advance of competing firms.
" L: b5 F  t( C3 n6 I  r4 A: ]! G, ~' O& q" o0 u
  (E) emphasizing the development of methods for the mass production and distribution of a new technology.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-20 07:09 , Processed in 0.204150 second(s), 21 queries .