立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 391|回复: 0

[考试辅导] 2011年工程硕士GCT英语阅读练习(九)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-7-12 13:04:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
  To most Africans, tribalism simply means very strong loyalty to one’s ethnic group. It is a force that can be both good and bad. By definition tribalism means sharing among members of the extended family. It makes sure that a person is taken care of by his own group. To give a job to a fellow tribesman is not wrong; it is an obligation. Similarly, for a politician or military leader it is considered good common sense to choose his closest adviser from people of his own tribe. This ensures security, continuity, authority. Tribal loyalty may mean a quick promotion—from sergeant to captain, from clerk to manager—within a very short time.
2 v8 Z+ C4 j. W' n! _( ~; w  Modern African politicians publicly speak out against tribal divisions. Yet it remains perhaps the most powerful force in day-to-day African life. As evidence of tribalism, in 1977 in Kenya, President Jomo Kenyatta’s tribe controlled business and politics. Eight of the 21 cabinet posts, including the most important four were filled by Kikuyus. In Uganda in the same year, the president’s small Kakwa tribe filled almost all the highest government and military positions! In Agola, Ethiopia, and Nigeria, the fighting in the past ten years can be partly explained by disagreements among tribes.
. s2 ]$ V8 {% j1 \/ M  1. What is the definition of tribalism? 
" B; U# x0 b* g' e1 f. L- r% z  A)Sharing among members of the extended family., [4 Q+ i9 |# a& x% z# E
  B)Giving a job to a fellow tribesman.
: t+ }  u3 f9 R  C)A force that can be both good and bad.
3 K% A+ z0 F- i: u8 J  D)People have the same religious belief. 
! Q) z8 L, ], o, h6 d  2. One example of how a tribe takes care of its own people is ___.
$ f) q6 o. c8 M  A)“a force that can be both good and bad”
; f( k' c( C& ?  B)“very strong loyalty to one’s ethnic group”
) B+ q! g. ~% q1 Z; i* g6 o4 D  C)“tribal loyalty may mean a quick promotion”
" [9 e6 O- N5 A  A/ C. C4 d  D)it is important to be loyal to one’s own tribal group 6 ?5 r" ^. K1 n4 W' R9 ]
  3. In paragraph 2,“the most important four” refers to ___.: d! [  F" a) W6 M; P9 ^
  A)military position
& b& Y- A- H& E' N+ q. l0 z7 [# n7 h  B)business- R0 E# B7 w$ O5 }' }( [
  C)cabinet posts . I8 O; }- s* J- v& d
  D)Kikuyus . P/ \9 T8 h  x: T5 I! n
  4. How many examples are there“as evidence of tribalism”? 
2 s6 _9 O4 J' s/ M  A)Four. * {  x" K& X, E  I0 Z
  B)Two.
- N, f( w" I+ Z, S& ?  C)One.
8 u7 X& l3 n7 L$ h+ @% z1 K  D)Three. 
$ W/ `7 e  D* w! w* ]9 ]4 ^# D. q  5. According to the passage, which of the following statements is wrong?
) i  u. ^$ w5 k3 J* R% X& y+ |  A)Modern African politicians approve of tribal divisions.
! N; n8 l' M9 e' i5 [2 t: Z  B)A person is usually taken care of by his own tribe.5 v) ^& [3 i& ]- E1 g
  C)Africans consider it an obligation to give a job to a fellow tribesman.) u* x. X8 ~* e& q- G
  D)Tribalism is still a powerful force in day-to-day African life.
1 l' s. V& T  A3 f来源:教育联展网-工程硕士考试站 [本文共有 2 页,当前是第 1 页]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 20:35 , Processed in 0.553414 second(s), 21 queries .