QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 329|回复: 0

[考试辅导] 医学考博每日一读:Measles deaths said to drop

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-7-20 22:52:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
医学考博每日一读:Measles deaths said to drop$ M0 e% B) b0 P  S' u
LONDON (AP) — The number of measles deaths worldwide has apparently dropped by about three-quarters over a decade, according to a new study by the World Health Organization and others. & b! j0 i2 q3 S$ w( g& G
Most of the deaths were in India and Africa, where not enough children are being immunized. 8 n( W0 @+ d  N6 g2 e- A
Health officials estimate that about 9.6 million children were saved from dying of measles from 2000 to 2010 after big vaccination campaigns were rolled out more than a decade ago. Researchers guessed that the number of deaths fell during that time period to about 139,300 from 535,300, or about 74 percent. ! C! o+ q9 w: @/ M9 e
But scientists had solid data for only 65 countries. For the 128 others surveyed, they used modeling to come up with their estimates.
% V3 R/ [$ J/ d$ q9 I( H7 lDespite the major dent, the progress fails to meet a W.H.O. target to cut measles deaths by 90 percent by 2010.
& q+ r+ s' ?: A9 \& _8 U8 q* f“This is still a huge success,” said Peter Strebel, a measles expert at W.H.O. and one of the authors of the study. “You don’t reduce measles deaths by three-quarters without significantly accelerating efforts.” ' w6 @& |# N: E
He noted that the global 85 percent vaccination coverage rate was the highest recorded. 0 F% `$ I! G1 A% D: L
The study was paid for by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and was published Tuesday in the journal The Lancet. ( p9 Z5 ?! H' R3 G0 `
Measles is one of the most infectious diseases and affects mostly children. It causes a fever, cough and a rash. The disease kills about one to two children for every 1,000 it infects and can also cause pregnant women to have a miscarriage. 9 n, k8 f/ L2 u( D0 O
In recent years, it has surged in Europe — the number of people infected since 2007 has tripled. Doctors say cases are rebounding there because people do not realize how serious measles is and are skeptical of the vaccine. % I- K4 X$ M; k: V
Last year was the worst year for measles in the United States in 15 years, with 222 cases — mostly imported by visitors or residents infected overseas.
& R: c- S/ i9 p) ~% l $ s5 e+ G! u! Z; }' R" O; v; h
网编推荐》》
/ H, H" {6 C. g. s+ c* ]2 Q% b! h2013医学考博英语如何复习
' [0 w$ G4 S$ d( d2 {1 }0 b2013医学考博英语真题必备
/ g# z# [8 V2 Z/ J, @# G2013医学考博英语词汇复习
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-23 19:09 , Processed in 0.157074 second(s), 21 queries .