立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 617|回复: 0

[考试辅导] 医学考博每日一读:Most child deaths 'preventable'

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-7-20 22:52:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Most deaths of young children around the world are from mainly preventable infectious causes, experts have said.0 @4 G% e5 u8 v: j) E6 N
A US team, writing in the Lancet, looked at mortality figures from 2010.# ^7 M$ h, x; A& T+ L4 M8 s* G
They found two-thirds of the 7.6m children who died before their fifth birthday did so due to infectious causes - and pneumonia was found to be the leading cause of death.% k: u% l$ c% I7 Q5 _- T4 @4 h, d
One expert said it was very important to "translate such findings into action".
; L2 e0 W9 D; I4 Y+ ~9 C# ^1 v) cThe team from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health looked at data from a range of sources, including household surveys and registration systems for 193 countries. Mathematical modelling was used where data was incomplete.$ e5 |4 p7 u* d  h5 N5 P
They found child deaths had fallen by two million (26%) since 2000, and there have been significant reductions in leading causes of death including diarrhoea and measles - as well as pneumonia.
' |/ \( w4 w5 o3 pBut they say there are still significant challenges.
8 A. Y5 O0 E7 ^International targets $ I. Q7 W; }  o4 @* Y9 h
Half of child deaths occurred in Africa - two thirds (2.6m) were due to infectious causes, including malaria and Aids.
; u' M& |0 Q8 j$ H, JIn South East Asia, neonatal causes were the leading cause of death.( v* b1 Q) i0 m5 m& A! J- y
Five countries (India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of Congo and China) accounted for almost half (3.75m) of deaths in children under five.
6 J8 d7 Z# S0 F- xThe researchers warn that very few countries will achieve international targets for improving child survival - the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) 4 - by the 2015 deadline.& d+ Z4 a; G1 s! W' D
Only tetanus, measles, and HIV/Aids have fallen enough to meet the target.5 b( D: C* @/ D7 ?' [
Writing in the Lancet, the researchers say: "Across all the previous and current rounds of causes of childhood death estimation, pneumonia and pre-term birth complications consistently rank as the leading causes at the global level.
! `2 `* |( x& N5 p"Africa and South East Asia are repeatedly the regions with the most deaths in children younger than five years.
0 i; d$ C/ X$ Q0 }"Our trend analysis shows that accelerated reductions are needed in the two major causes and in the two high-burden regions to achieve MDG4 by 2015."' N1 W* L1 U0 E7 x8 K; ^* v3 @
网编推荐》》' o" ~% g1 c! l# W! h9 z( Z  a2 N
2013医学考博英语如何复习
/ g/ w1 ]. H0 K8 N& i7 o* ^7 |2013医学考博英语真题必备
( t' E- @& E% D% {2013医学考博英语词汇复习
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-28 21:29 , Processed in 0.168757 second(s), 21 queries .