立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 540|回复: 0

[考试辅导] 医学考博每日一读:US panel approves anti-HIV pill

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-7-20 22:52:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
A panel of US health experts has for the first time backed a drug to prevent HIV infection in healthy people.) n4 T2 z# Z/ \4 i2 s) B- }
The panel recommended US regulators approve the daily pill, Truvada, for use by people considered at high risk of contracting the Aids virus.( c& u6 t) U5 Z/ C+ G* K% X- @
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is not required to follow the panel's advice, but it usually does.3 N# @' q' r5 a8 Y" X1 d9 E* _
Some health workers and groups active in the HIV community have opposed the approval of the drug.
' J+ N5 l. m1 UHowever, correspondents say the move could prove to be a new milestone in the fight against HIV/Aids.
) B6 U9 i* }# Q/ LTruvada is already approved by the FDA for people who are HIV-positive, and is taken along with existing anti-retroviral drugs.
1 t% x% _0 ~& \8 W5 ~1 TStudies from 2010 showed that Truvada, made by California-based Gilead Sciences, reduced the risk of HIV in healthy gay men - and among HIV-negative heterosexual partners of people who are HIV positive - by between 44% and 73%.
# D1 k3 R  b6 f) }. hJune decision
5 q& {  P% Y: m/ pThe Antiviral Drugs Advisory Committee, which advises the FDA, voted 19-3 in favour of prescribing the drug to the highest risk group - non-infected men who have sex with multiple male partners.! M4 h+ c3 ?" a
They also approved it, by majority votes, for uninfected people with HIV-positive partners and for other groups considered at risk of acquiring HIV through sexual activity.
7 f2 O; T$ l3 k( P* QThe votes followed an 11-hour meeting of the panel in Silver Spring, Maryland, and a lengthy public comments session.
) }9 z8 t( y+ N5 A/ |Opposition to the prospect of approving the drug is based on concerns that users could gain a false sense of security, and fears of a drug-resistant strain of HIV./ f+ g/ z: `, Q  O3 n! g
There is also concern that the high cost of Truvada could divert limited funding from more cost-effective options.  r5 x/ i& k9 z! T6 R% A
"We need to slow down. I care too much about my community not to speak my concerns," said Joey Terrill, of the Aids Healthcare Foundation, which campaigned against the drug's approval.
$ @6 t$ ?" H5 eNurse Karen Haughey told the panel: "Truvada needs to be taken every day, 100% of the time, and my experience as a registered nurse tells me that won't happen. 7 g0 _! c! M% v8 d/ B- Q
"In my eight years, not one patient that I've cared for has been 100% adherent."
- N( z) o" h" w& R. j8 iBut others welcomed the panel's recommendation.2 m7 l7 W7 D, U3 ?- D+ _2 j( M. A
"This brings us closer to a watershed for global HIV prevention efforts," said Mitchell Warren, executive director of the Aids Vaccine Advocacy Coalition, after the vote.: R4 ], m2 i0 F1 K# I
网编推荐》》! m$ \) i$ p; `
2013医学考博英语如何复习6 Y( F6 l! N4 ?5 b8 P
2013医学考博英语真题必备) j0 k) t  h8 x' j# D, C
2013医学考博英语词汇复习
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-25 19:58 , Processed in 0.260012 second(s), 21 queries .