立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 621|回复: 0

[考试辅导] 医学考博每日一读:Most child deaths 'preventable'

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-7-20 22:52:00 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Most deaths of young children around the world are from mainly preventable infectious causes, experts have said.1 R9 ]$ `# _. Y
A US team, writing in the Lancet, looked at mortality figures from 2010.
% [! ~' o4 V) E+ u3 ~They found two-thirds of the 7.6m children who died before their fifth birthday did so due to infectious causes - and pneumonia was found to be the leading cause of death.
- \8 W7 |1 a/ t- }9 I7 X7 ^" JOne expert said it was very important to "translate such findings into action".
( Q6 q% A6 c3 ~4 MThe team from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health looked at data from a range of sources, including household surveys and registration systems for 193 countries. Mathematical modelling was used where data was incomplete.3 t$ a$ B: c" [8 u& |5 S
They found child deaths had fallen by two million (26%) since 2000, and there have been significant reductions in leading causes of death including diarrhoea and measles - as well as pneumonia.3 P$ \% w) k/ h& q8 O1 v; Q
But they say there are still significant challenges.6 v- o% G1 h; F, v
International targets
/ _- G2 ?: l' S" e1 `8 jHalf of child deaths occurred in Africa - two thirds (2.6m) were due to infectious causes, including malaria and Aids. " g- c% {$ S$ K  W; i& d0 k" A# N
In South East Asia, neonatal causes were the leading cause of death.
  t# F& C) E. A2 n0 VFive countries (India, Nigeria, Pakistan, Democratic Republic of Congo and China) accounted for almost half (3.75m) of deaths in children under five.; J/ b4 u, C3 \1 I- B
The researchers warn that very few countries will achieve international targets for improving child survival - the Millennium Development Goal (MDG) 4 - by the 2015 deadline.
3 j8 D7 V8 @* k' _3 g- Y% ^Only tetanus, measles, and HIV/Aids have fallen enough to meet the target.7 y' i- n1 `& k" q. I
Writing in the Lancet, the researchers say: "Across all the previous and current rounds of causes of childhood death estimation, pneumonia and pre-term birth complications consistently rank as the leading causes at the global level.
9 g" L) ~- _* x"Africa and South East Asia are repeatedly the regions with the most deaths in children younger than five years. , Y" P9 a% i; l8 [5 E* ^6 Q0 H
"Our trend analysis shows that accelerated reductions are needed in the two major causes and in the two high-burden regions to achieve MDG4 by 2015."1 f  }0 H/ [6 _, @
网编推荐》》
9 y* y6 X/ [2 T' b% @2013医学考博英语如何复习" @: y& J( R' ^" u5 @' S
2013医学考博英语真题必备
, K& m* K) |- H- ?) d4 i2013医学考博英语词汇复习
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-27 09:32 , Processed in 0.172491 second(s), 21 queries .