立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 117|回复: 0

LSAT考试全真试题一SECTION3(4)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 13:24:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
16. In stating that "Successful athletes commonly earn more than Nobel Prize-winning academics" (lines 10-11), the author's primary purpose is to
' a1 y! \9 V' b. o# D# h4 _+ y. i' e# }- d2 o# D% ?1 t
  (A) demonstrate that education has little to do with making money
  d8 J; J3 r, j1 ]% g  (B) suggest that people with talent and ability should not enter low-paying occupations
2 L# d1 R" c) h2 I+ f& W0 j+ O  (C) show that highly paid occupations generally require long hours and extensive training9 B; X- w$ x1 i( z
  (D) imply that a person can be successful and still not make much money" I3 t2 `' n! B0 j  A& q5 M
  (E) give an example of how certain occupations are better paid than others. Tegardiess of inherent: worth or talent required* z- Q0 C" V3 i* r  j: A5 k% _  J8 Y
0 C2 H7 O1 o; ~) Y$ M, N
  17. Which one of the following cases is least likely to involve sex descrimination, as it is described in the passage?
! M. D0 K  T4 _+ d0 W  g* P
; I' y6 z3 v6 o0 F% m# a0 w  (A) An employer hires a man rather than an equally qualified woman.
' H( C0 E( R/ r: k  (B) A woman chooses to enter a high-paying occupation that uses her talent and ability.
0 ]# S% r- r/ Z9 T- }+ m  (C) A woman chooses an occupation that is already dominated by women., S7 b1 B4 j4 T" D
  (D) A woman chooses a low-paying job that allows her to devote more time to her family.8 g7 s+ y% V9 M# C# M/ ]' Z" W( ~
  (E) A woman chooses to avoid the pressure of being in an occupation not considered "suitable" for women: J% h( J% X/ E' u% w* @1 M
  + ?# I! I( U  ^" `
  18. Proponents of the "alternative explanation" (line 46) argue that5 z, J# P; }" Q- k. f# l

% q6 k; X3 p( Y; ?" ~  (A) Employers have difficulty persuading quallried women to enter relatively high-paying occupations1 K4 e9 `2 y* E$ ~  j! K
  (B) Women choose undemanding jobs because they wish to keep their career options open# [" v% p' Y. r" Q' v: \" l" h# O: i
  (C) Women will flood domestic occupations
+ w2 E4 Y4 W1 Q& n- H  (D) Salanes in female-dominated occupations will decrease as more women are forced into those occupations by their exclusion from others
, b3 I. T) v- R! `. h6 p+ P  (E) Women's choice of occupation is irrelevant since they have always made less money than men and are likely to continue to do so
2 P. B# g9 ~* E$ h  
+ \3 K6 j4 v: \. Y% Y/ ~. t. P6 S  19. Which one of the following statements is the best completion of the last paragraph of the passage?+ M2 L4 q9 M7 ?% \8 ~. {

2 X; F' i; V3 O. ^# \) x; h3 C  (A) Wage differentials will become more exaggerated and economic parity between men and women less and less possible.: d* K' n  Y2 Q& d: d
  (B) Finally, women will be automatically placed in the same salary range as unskilled laborers.- c/ Q; |2 n( o' }! ~
  (C) The question is, how long will women allow themselves to be excluded from male-dominated occupations?
. y( |  z! U$ I7 q  (D) In the last analysis, women may need to ask themselves if they can really afford to allow sex discrimination to continue.- K. O1 |4 n/ c* I6 Z/ u  _
  (E) Unless society changes its views, women may never escape the confines of the few occupations designated "For Women Only"5 Q4 v! m4 v4 e( {

. g. J5 u4 G3 w' e/ F  20. The author's attitude toward sex discrmination as an explanation for wage differentials can best be characterized as an explanation for wage differentials can best be characterized as differentials can best be characterized as( T+ _# }; E  S, u; u
3 U6 p, A1 P7 M
  (A) critical of society's acceptance of discrimination
! X: F5 O. @; ?2 V) G, M  (B) skeptical that discrimination is a factor
- i  g5 ?0 W6 b( I1 s  (C) convinced that the problem will get worse
, d7 F, W# i1 w  (D) neutral with respect to its validity
3 Y' O+ L) i. W& `- c* b  (E) frustrated by the intractability of the problem7 s1 X  ?$ s$ X! b8 V2 r- F# Q7 g

6 \6 K+ P6 S8 C5 O9 o; x  The starting point for any analysis of insurance classification is an obvious but fundamental fact insurance is only one of a number of ways of satisfying the demand for
$ \/ b/ l6 H4 _$ W. R' }7 z 
0 N. s/ J& a6 @+ P" h  (5) protection against risk With few exceptions, insurance need not be purchased; people can forgo it if insurance is too expensive Indeed, as the price of coverage rises, the amount purchased and the number of people.# f7 u0 h6 ?* W4 \% e4 ~

! k: X3 P$ |3 t+ {; l0 O  (10)purchasing will decline. Instead of buying insurance, people will self-insure by accumulating saving to serve as a cushion in the event of loss, self-protect by spending more on loss protection, or simply use the& D7 O3 \$ |9 ?9 ]- K$ y% j
 ; r0 X- d, X% Q
  (15)money not spent on insurance to purchase other goods and services An insurer must compete against these alternatives., even in the absence of competition from other insurers.One method of competing for protection
+ n$ q8 L6 h- r  
% l1 a* p8 ]! W+ X* g, e6 g' |! q  (20)dollars is to classify potential purchasers into groups according to their probability of loss and the potential magnitude of losses if they occur. Different risk classes may then be charged different premiums, depending on+ M! K2 o* J2 A$ X) L' |

5 h/ N2 {8 s9 N- J+ P+ d$ L1 G1 ]5 @6 ]  (25)this expected loss. Were it not for the need to compete for protection dollars, an insurer could simply charge each individual an insurer could simply charge each individual a premium based on the average expected loss of all its insureds (plus a margin for profit and' {  k( d$ Q+ h+ j
 6 s6 h5 S$ v" W: b0 {# L) d  I
  (30)expenses), without incurring classification costs. In constructing risk classes, the insurer's goal is to calculate the expected loss of each insured, and to place insureds, with similar expected losses into the same.! Z- O2 C3 [6 l7 P( K9 {/ |2 k

Z: _: P. z% I1 c  (35)class, in order to charge each the same rate. An insurer can capture protection dollars by classifying because, through classification, it can offer low-risk individuals lower prices. Classification, however, involves two costs.+ q! v, }* U, Q; B

" R. e9 a/ M" o+ H8 y  (40)First, the process of classification is costly. Insurers must gather data and perform statistical operations on it; marketing may also be more costly when prices are not uniform. Second, classification necessarily+ `4 [" ?; [& ?3 D, T
. K/ e2 A  g% h. j$ W# u
  (45)rauses premiums for poor risks, who purchase less coverage as a result. In the aggregate, classification is thus worthwhile to an insurer only when the gains produced from extra sales and fewer pry-outs outweigh0 m+ s" h. \2 g7 p0 ]/ u
 5 J7 z0 f. H$ ]; j  Z
  (50)classificaton costs plus the costs of lost sales. Even in the absence of competition from other insurers, an insurer who engages in at least some classification is likely to capture more protection dollars than it loses.% }% F0 V0 _; z, i( @- E! }$ Z, `
. _- |9 \% k$ R2 e
  (55) When there is not only competition for available protection dollars, but competition among insurers for premium dollars, the value of risk classification to insurers becomes even clearer. The more refined (and accurate) an
. e/ I& o( \" x) h1 w- E2 B* A- C2 F. J, H" B/ z. L
  (60)insurer's risk classifications, the more capable it is of "skimming" good risks away from insurers whose classifications are less refined. If other insurers do not respond, either by refining their own classifications or
; g" P( e# T1 p$ P  D6 U6 `
- [# F( g0 ~6 C3 x2 q$ R7 z* z  (65)by raising prices and catering mainly to high risks, their "book" of risks will contain a higher mixture of poor risks who are still being charged premiums calculated for average risks These insurers will attract# S4 @+ Y% k, i
 7 ~& ]9 Z' m" L* c
  (70)additional poor risks, and this resulting adverse selection will further disadvantage their competitive positions
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 11:26 , Processed in 0.177619 second(s), 21 queries .