立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 136|回复: 0

LSAT考试全真试题一SECTION3(2)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 13:24:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
6.The author's attitude toward the abstraction process that occurs when witnesses testify in a trial can best be described as+ L8 ], O5 A( z0 [
; p; y6 X0 P4 X
  (A) confident that witnesses can be conditioned to overcome many limitations of memory" f0 H$ }( t% f& y/ R
  (B) concerned that it may undermine witnesses ability to accurately describe the original event in dispute$ B- h" |8 x9 i! t3 ]% n
  (C) critical of witnesses' motivations when delivering testimony
8 {7 ~+ `, }7 _! D: Z  (D) indifferent toward the effect the abstraction process has on testimony
% s4 }" v4 W4 x, q- e2 k  (E) suspicious of witnesses' efforts to describe remembered events truthfully
, Q/ V$ z; F) h/ F8 d; g- e& ^ + y: s% p' ?  B& G* [
  7.Given the information in the passage, the actual event that is disputed in a jury trial is most like
$ g' ?3 E- @5 Z) j' ]% a. p3 \" o- D) t: t1 t7 T- t6 x
  (A) a group of job applicants that is narrowed down to a few finalists% A+ q/ [9 z- [3 O! W
  (B) a subject that is photographed from varjed and increasingly distant vantage points. o( w9 F4 @9 d( U9 ^
  (C) scraps of fabric that are sewn together to make an intricately designed quilt3 d" G( F8 N/ v
  (D) a puzzle that is unsystematically assembled through trial and error
3 M% u) @2 x+ @  (E) a lie that is compounded by additional lies in order to be maintained; i  `. G3 R  q; z

7 g+ k; z" P- ]3 N; h6 q2 x  a medical article once pointed with great alarm to an increase in cancer among milk drinkers. Cancer, it seems, was becoming increasingly frequent in New England,
2 g" G4 G- }% G- h% V2 R: c. q) S  Y
  (5) Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Switzerland, where a lot of milk is produced and consumed, while remaining rare in Ceylon, where milk is scarce. For further evidence it was pointed out that cancer was less frequent in some
. T+ {: {- X. W; i
8 Y" S" B+ F2 E: o  (10)states of the southern United States where less milk was consumed. Also, it was pointed out, milk-drinking English women get some kinds of cancer eighteen times as frequently as Japanese women who seldom drink milk
2 |3 J% I; D. c) A0 R" K4 U
2 A. {8 L, ^& {  (15)A little digging might uncover quite a number of ways to account for these figures but one factor is enough by itself to show them up. Cancer is predominantly a disease that strikes in middle life or after. Switzerland
' r! p3 Q4 a- X$ y/ K7 N
- T* U  S* ~2 w* t( w3 `) }  (20)and the states of the United States mentioned first are alike in having populations with relatively long spans of life. English women at the time the study was made were living an average of twelve years longer than% A2 H  b8 J3 q

7 ?* ^0 [/ g" c6 x" x/ A% ^# C: D0 X  (25)Japanese women.Professor Helen M. Walker has worked out an amusing illustration of the folly in assuming there must be cause and effect whenever two things vary together. In investigating the
/ A, S1 w' s. N/ M
& M, u' T$ }) D, r2 ^  (30)relationship between age and some physical characteristics of women, begin by measuring the angle of the feet in walking. You will find that the angle tends to be greater among older women. You might first consider whether
8 x4 K$ ]) X% Q6 J& L4 k4 u3 t1 Q  f
  (35)this indicates that women grow older because they toe out, and you can see immediately that this is ridiculous. So it appears that age increases the angle between the feet, and most women must come to toe out more3 T5 U+ _9 \) |+ ?5 k
 % B! I, S% u- u8 \
  (40)as they grow older.& e7 \* N  C8 k$ C
  0 L6 [# T5 `9 a' Q6 e* K  y" J
  Any such conclusion is probably false and certainly unwarranted. You could only reach it legitimately by studying the same women-or possibly equivalent groups-over a period of
# Z/ r6 S* U, y6 p
( h; [, d3 K3 g0 J! j  H5 ]  (45)time. That would eliminate the factor responsible here, which is that the older women grew up at a time when a young lady was taught to toe out in walking, while the members of the younger group were
0 H) o. y1 ^" g- D4 l* ^ 
! i/ Z* s7 e) }  (50)learning posture in a day when that was discouraged.
( _- G% S8 p5 k% h# F  
/ T0 j. T/ W! M9 Q  When you find somebody-usually an interested party-making a fuss about a correlation, look first of all to see if it is not (55) one of this type, produced by the stream of events, the trend of the times. In our time it is easy to show a positive correlation between any pair of things like these: number of students in college, number of inmates
  E4 ~" d+ a1 h5 L6 v
0 I, l' c$ H/ J  (60)in mental institutions, consumption of cigarettes, incidence of heart disease, use of X-ray machines, production of false teeth, salaries of California school teachers, profits of Nevada gambling halls. To call some one
. \  T+ {3 Z$ e, H, k4 d* I6 {- _- d( p! B! l  b$ B
  (65)of these the cause of some other is manifestly silly. But it is done every day.
% M& ~9 h" ~& w1 Z
: n) S6 |- }; g: G( J' R  8.The author's conclusion about the relationship between age and the ways women walk indicates he believes that
3 k9 Q- D4 r, Q- h, Y+ Q6 V0 J7 A0 u" n$ K
  (A) toeing out is associated with aging3 u" h! Q0 G# o: Y6 U7 R
  (B) toeing out is fashionable with the younger generation
2 z$ ~' C. V. u% `  (C) toeing out was fashionable for an older generation5 Y* j1 X" _" t# A( D
  (D) studying equivalent groups proves that toeing out increases with age3 n- A! |8 n1 f' ?4 w
  (E) studying the same women over a period of time proves that toeing out increases with age.
; c. w; j# Y. q5 z
+ p0 {! y, L+ o! @5 i  9.The author describes the posited relationship between toeing out and age (lines 29-40) in order to# {1 _, N" x* {/ e) Y' ~! L
( f( {: ]: t: p/ Y8 J
  (A) illustrate a folly
( A7 f6 D5 g; U; A/ c, d8 v- e  (B) show how social attitudes toward posture change
' B7 H1 I, D+ {, s7 F# ^  (C) explain the effects of aging
4 [5 W, ?+ h1 u1 @& T0 R+ L  (D) illustrate a medical problem/ `# _. i2 h9 M2 ~8 W/ @
  (E) offer a method to determine a woman's age from her footprints.
5 {6 i" h5 T) h1 w' M1 ~% [; {; I: f. A6 H7 \4 R& ~
  10. Given the author's statements in the passage, his advice for evaluating statistics that show a high positive correlation between two conditions could include all the following statements EXCEPT9 J* n8 N0 j. l; [5 U* |+ }

7 g/ S2 i6 M9 d' W5 B7 O  z8 t6 w7 i  (A) look for an explanation in the stream of events
1 p: z1 K( u5 h& m  (B) consider some trend of the times as the possible cause of both conditions
% k! H0 r1 [5 Y) A4 I  (C) account for the correlations in some way other than causality; }# V! t+ I0 ?
  (D) determine which of the two conditions is the cause and which is the effect
2 j2 h) D9 B$ a9 [3 |/ K. @  (E) decide whether the conclusions have been readched legitimately and the appropriate groupings have been made.
! b/ B' v' N6 L. Y5 W+ ^* m& S
7 I# e8 ~6 e7 ?6 B& t; o5 B  11. Assume that there is a high statistical correiation between college attendanceand individual earnings. Given this, the author would most probably agree with which one of the following statements about the cause-effect relationship between college attendance and income?" C% Q% v" \4 h" [
1 `5 k  R) w$ s
  (A) Someone's potential earnings may be affected by other variables, like wealth or intelligence, that are also associated with college attendance.
' n) J6 N* T' V6 p  @. o' u. i  (B) Someone who attends graduate school will be rich.# J/ |/ g$ |7 A% j
  (C) Someone who attends graduate school will earn more money than someone who does not.
. ~$ ~6 d! ?* t  (D) Someone who attends college will earn more money than someone who does not attend college.
0 |8 r1 k0 M. w7 Y$ S  (E) Some who attends college will earn more money only because she does attend college.
6 Q* f+ d9 w' @  % U# F5 i- N! ^/ i
  12. According to the author Professor Walker beheves that
5 |1 T1 H4 h4 @# C 
7 V. z8 E  u! {: n" ~  (A) women who toe out age more rapidly than women who do not
) \& Z2 p, x# I) w' k  (B) most woment toe out as they grow older because age increases the angle between the feet.
; W. m' ~& j$ X$ k9 l  (C) Older women tend to walk with a greater angle between the feet1 C. \2 P" u. Q8 L8 d5 k0 ]
  (D) Toeing out is the reason why women grow old  \. q4 Q  h& K0 C9 l
  (E) A causal relationship must exist whenever two things vary together+ {9 f4 n* `. ~5 K  X# p9 ^9 ?* `, L
  . M3 t: k1 B' x+ M* G9 V7 L
  13. The author would reject all the following statements about cause-effect relationships as explanations for the statistics that show an increase in cancer rates EXCEPT that the  B2 i( N* {( C

8 Y  n9 m  ^9 Z- D0 r! a8 g  (A) Ceylongese drink more milk than the English2 i2 t+ K0 O; d0 T. B4 z
  (B) Swiss produce and consume large quantities of dairy products
# V' M) f7 O9 V/ y. U% E7 o6 g  (C) Women of New England drink more milk than the women who live in some states of the southern United States
$ z; U* R: ?. |* m+ \( ^# [  (D) People of Wisconsin have relatively high life expectancies
# j+ D$ v: k. I# T( U: U  (E) People who live in some states of the southern United States have relatively high life expectancies
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-7 11:52 , Processed in 0.169449 second(s), 21 queries .