发表于 2012-8-15 13:24:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
16. The primary purpose of the passage is to
! Y# j3 U: g3 V( k' J9 g4 H" I  _9 ]' c) \+ C  P
(A) identify differing approaches* `$ B. G, o& A8 b# ]7 w3 @+ F; q
(B) discount a novel trend
; v; ]: e) o; t4 s(C) advocate traditional methods" U2 D8 h* @& _: I8 a8 H
(D) correct misinterpretations
2 Q7 D# `$ B4 g) U(E) reconcile seeming inconsistencies! ~0 M* x8 [+ ^9 b: t& ]

3 b4 Q8 p( `8 A) b$ N5 c: t) m  o   Since the early 1920s, most petroleum geologists have favored a  biogenic theory for the formation of oil. According to this theory, organic  matter became buried in sediments, and subsequent conditions of  temperature
+ w+ g( b1 T; y/ y, Z4 T& y: \* {; X" H
(5) and pressure over time transformed it into oil.+ M! i/ b7 W; L/ y
* f$ q8 g* Y6 d2 T5 f9 b1 H- c% Y6 t
   Since 1979 an opposing abiogenic theory about the origin of oil has been  promulgated. According to this theory, what is now oil began as hydrocarbon  compounds within the earth s mantle (the region0 P1 [% k" |% O, O% z
+ v( X% r& y, ~5 d) a# W1 a# g# X
(10) between the core and the crust) during the formation of the earth. Oil was  created when gasses rich in methanc, the lightest of the hydrocarbons, rose  from the mantle through fractures and fauhs in the crust, carrying a significant  amount of heavier hydrocarbons with them.; k0 b/ ~+ @8 ~' {8 W$ O
* i6 O7 c' R2 l* I! P. }% E
(15) As the gases encountered intermittent drops in pressure, the heavier  hydrocarbons condensed, forming oil, and were deposited in reservoirs  throughout the crust, Rock regions deformed by motions of the crustal plates  provided the conduits and fracures necessary for the  y+ R: K/ z  Q9 U: }# u

% E0 W8 M. S+ g9 j# X) S! J(20) gases to rise through the crust.8 J; J& g4 z! C+ T" j- w# r

# Q4 s6 D; ?1 g& X6 D' q- Q+ {   Opponents of the abiogenic theory charge that hydrocarbons could not  exist in the mantle, because high lemperatures would destroy or break them  down. Advocates of the theory, however, point out that other
" D0 I. i! D7 n% p; K! s3 T' l# G; p
(25) types of carbon exist in the mantle: unoxidized carbon must exist there,  because diamonds are formed within the mantle before being brought to the  surface by eruptive processes. Proponents of the abiogenic theory also point  to recent experimental work that suggests
  K. o8 g0 t) H8 w0 |7 S
0 k# l( ?4 A$ M5 w# x(30) that the higher pressures within the mantle tend to offset the higher  temperatures, allowing hydrocarbons, like unoxidized carbon, to continue to  exist in the mantle.
$ D$ I* V5 l) \! [1 a/ ]' |: G9 Q7 ]' Q3 U9 m4 L6 b
   If the abiogenic theory is correct, vast undiscovered# a5 E& f2 ~. z" q4 y8 {( |

+ ~- P, ?3 {+ V( R& h: o; A9 t(35) reservoirs of oil and gas—undiscovened because the biogenic model  precludes their existence—may in actuality exist. One company owned by  the Swedish government has found the abiogenic theory so persuasive that it  has started exploratory drilling for gas9 C8 W( V" _; C, ^8 @5 a9 `
) \, V- |5 ]7 K/ {' \' l4 ]
(40) or oil in a granite formation called the Siljan Ring—not the best place to  look for gas or oil if one belives they are derived from organic compounds,  because granite forms from magma (molten rock) and contains no organic  sediments. The ring was formed about 360
: a4 l8 k- r( a" a3 y# k. n1 Q0 Y$ o" E' W' P# |0 l8 V! |
(45) million years ago when a large meteorite hit the 600-million-year-old granite  that forms the base of the continental crust. The impact fractured the granite,  and the Swedes believe that if oil comes from the mantle, it could have risen  with methane gas through this now
& P- t( Q% X& t; ~3 L* [4 C1 @
. o/ Q2 ?; o9 G; @: v3 p(50) permeable rock. Fueling their optimism further is the fact that prior to the  start of drilling, methane gas had been detected rising through the granite.0 @2 h' v# ~, z) L& `- ~# h9 ]
& |$ G0 O% Q. [1 ^
17. Which one of the following statements best expresses the main idea of the passage?
1 H, C4 z6 r& i% B0 `4 e
; U! ^$ z/ ?' J8 \, j5 H# a9 g(A) Although the new abiogenic theory about the origin of oil is derived from the   conventional biogenic theory, it suggests new types of locations for oil   drilling.
/ z+ J: ~! |% @, e(B) The small number of drilling companies that have responded to the new   abiogenic theory about the origin of oil reflects the minimal level of   acceptance the theory has met with in the scientific community.
) J3 l0 O7 Y! |# J( M% ]! L+ O(C) Although the new abiogenic theory about the origin of oil fails to explain   several enigmas about oil reservoirs, it is superior to the conventional   biogenic theory.
1 P/ g5 q) [( M. r) T(D) Although it has yet to receive either support or refutation by data gathered   from a drilling project, the new abiogenic theory about the origin of oil offers   a plausible alternative to the conventional biogenic theory.! H. R  v9 _0 [0 H% J7 ^
(E) Having answered objections about higher pressures in the earth s core,   proponents of the new abiogenic theory have gained broad acceptance for   their theory in the scientific community.
* _0 \# N2 g; ~! j8 ~( l9 G
" e1 [# y( w3 }1 D' U18. Which one of the following best describes the function of the third paragraph?
; M4 x3 a. j1 d% B, G
! g$ C% D5 j0 G8 J(A) It presents a view opposed to a theory and points out an internal   contradiction in that opposing view.
% K+ @9 p* q7 @; |( H  X(B) It describes a criticism of a theory and provides countervailing evidence to   the criticism.
+ [6 D3 N* z+ l% w$ Q(C) It identifies a conflict between two views of a theory and revises both views.
1 n( u- N7 p. c3 e(D) It explains an argument against a theory and shows it to be a valid criticism.
* B- j3 u1 o: ]5 ~. x/ Y(E) It points out the correspondence between an argument against one theory   and arguments against similar theories.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 01:04 , Processed in 0.437587 second(s), 21 queries .