立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 113|回复: 0

LSAT考试全真试题五SECTION4(3)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 13:24:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
13. It can be inferred that the author of the passage regards Hart s theory of hard cases and the theory of standard law as- V2 M2 L  \! a% g7 z( c
9 A) O% Y7 z  }% F
(A) exhaustive6 k1 R2 Y# ]% ~8 D7 {! {# `
(B) worthy of respect4 p" {4 B* I( R3 v$ x$ W
(C) interesting but impractical( I: R2 w6 G/ }4 }, h& Z- j
(D) plausible but unwieldy
! n9 n: u. |9 x2 B6 e(E) hopelessly outmoded
( a& d0 q; p; S7 T/ I+ ~2 j
" Z: Q1 L  z; Q0 d+ K$ c' [$ u14. Which one of the following is true of the term "legally determinate" (line 6) as it is used in the passage?8 W: H2 ]9 X  l; K1 _

, R% g7 @+ _* S(A) It represents the idea that every crime should have a fixed penalty rather   than a range of penalties within which a judge can make an arbitrary choice5 E9 Y! e" [" f
(B) It refers to a legal case that can be definitively resolved in favor of one side   or the other according to the law in effect at the time2 Y0 ^9 D4 f1 C- o! P# m0 j* n+ X0 m
(C) It describes a legal rule that requires judges to limit their actions to applying   written law when deciding cases over which people with legal training   disagree
& }2 F* r2 D' C8 Y3 X, H(D) It refers to any legal case that involves terms with imprecise meanings and   thus relies for its resolution only on the determination of judges.
8 b$ r$ Q2 ^. X5 F. \0 h(E) It refers to procedures for determining the legal outcome of complex issues   in difficult cases.
' U9 @1 b6 c9 G) S4 I, f/ _, y+ r& }9 y' q1 h
15. In the passage, the author is primarily concerned with
: t9 D3 h; I6 M9 J4 d* B) G! p1 @4 y! x0 p+ @
(A) outlining the problems that might be faced by a legislature attempting to   create a complete body of law that would prevent judges from making   rather than applying the law" `8 I" i  H" g4 @5 T
(B) justifying the idea that "hard" cases will always exist in the practice of law,   no matter what laws are written or how they are applied4 Z  u& B$ z. ?7 Q/ ]4 \' ]
(C) presenting evidence to support Dworkin s idea that legal rules apply in an   all-or-nothing fashion whereas legal principles apply in more sophisticated   ways+ b  V' k/ X8 Q7 U
(D) critiquing the concept of the open texture of legal terms as a conceptual   flaw in Hart s otherwise well-regarded book.& s. I# ]* s! M6 S  ~6 `
(E) demonstrating that Dworkin s concept of legal principles does not form the   basis for a successful attack on Hart s theory of legally indeterminate   cases
3 ]9 ~2 m+ T, A2 i3 x
. t. ]9 ~5 F- }: h   One way governments can decrease air pollution is to impose a tax on  industrial carbon dixide emissions. But why should governments consider a  carbon tax when they could control emissions by/ v- n0 t$ g. S" X, }0 w
3 v) u4 j2 j5 F7 b
(5) establishing energy efficiency and conservation standards, by legislating  against coal use or by increasing inverstment in nuclear? The great virtue of  such a tax is that it would provide incentives for industry to achieve emission
$ }$ R1 v" Y; s! Z- z5 A& e4 S* E3 K5 C; G' _
(10) reductions. Because oil emits more carbon dioxide per unit of energy  generated than does natural gas, and coal more than oil,a carbon tax would  vary with the type of fuel.Such a tax would induce industry to substitute less- polluting fuels for those carrying a$ _% \0 P4 H3 B8 m! g

* ]# |+ q% E2 W) x5 Q(15) higher tax and also to reduce the total use of energy
2 ]' o' \5 B$ b: @8 M/ o: A% B* ?# b( F) Y, g9 Y0 b; K8 n
   However it is not clear how high such a tax should be or what its  economic and environmental implications would be. At first glance, it is not1 i# `5 w3 X0 |* p; t  f

% m  G- S' A: c/ w5 r(20) difficult to estimate roughly the size of the tax needed to effect a given level  of emission reduction. One writer estimates for example that a tax of 41  percent on the price of coal 33 percent on oil and 25 percent on gas would  reduce the United1 t& }/ K& g( T+ n$ i
. O, g3 Q' a( V# w: Z2 m- U9 J
(25) Kingdom s emissions by 20 percent (using 1988 as the base year) by the  year 2005 the target recommended by the 1988 Toronto Conference. It should  be noted however that these numbers ignore the effect of the tax on  economic growth, and
. S2 V" F+ L! r, e" j* x2 U  m6 E9 @- C6 j
(30) hence on emissions, and assume that past responses to a price rise will  be replicated in the future These numbers are also based on the assumption  that all countries will behave cooperatively in imposing a carbon tax.
( E* F& ~/ S- s- r6 k; n  q
; z" U7 ^: a$ M/ X. S4 A(35) There are very strong reasons to believe that cooperation would be difficult  to win. If most countries cooperated. then any country that chose not to  cooperate would be advantaged it would have no abatement costs, and the  effect on the
/ _# y" H+ d9 p5 S& |7 m/ A. w1 E2 n& E9 }
(40) environment of its defection would be relatively small. Because of this "free  rider" effect cooperation on a scale needed to reduce carbon dioxide  emissions might prove elusive2 K( b. l3 v$ V! Y$ d
% {6 ]' F$ R- N
   Should countries act unilaterally to durb
% Q: e, S# ~1 K) M4 b
4 ?9 ]6 U. h* h- s9 t+ B6 h(45) emissions? If a country were to act unilaterally the benefits would be  spread across the globe, whereas the costs would fall solely on the country  taking the action. The action would reduce emissions globally and the effect  of this would be to reduce the benefit
/ T8 u! C  Z& U" j( `: Z+ V$ a" [9 G' ]9 }
(50) other countries would receive if they reduced emissions. As a  consequence other countries would have less incentive to reduce emissions  and would probably emit more carbon dioxide than they would have if the  unilateral action had not been taken6 n$ k" ~) d0 l9 k) _% E
9 ]/ G5 {; K& _9 `5 }( B
(55) The entire effect of the emission reduction may not be lost, but it would  surely be dimminished by this free-riding behavior/ q- `' A5 X+ x' N' z% v
  t; ~& R% G1 F. @* a& h' b
16. According to the passage, the size of the carbon tax levied on a given fuel would vary with the3 N, _( |- i# L" r9 |" o* y

$ F! K4 x4 A# n, _6 p. ?/ {. x(A) amount of that fuel used by a particular industry4 `0 V) w0 t- y# \* a9 x
(B) amount of pollution caused by the fuel being taxed+ S7 c" x6 @  Q* R8 i
(C) size of the industries using the fuel being taxed
; A4 I. L" X1 g; ~4 |1 k* f) U(D) effect that the tax would have on a country s economy: [7 B8 T7 H! ?. y' x
(E) number of usuers of a particular fuel at a particular time
/ o  a* z) Q' I" e8 \4 }
6 i0 A( z8 a* x) V1 M17. The author mentions the estimates of "One writer" (line 22) primarily in order to' y4 i" f. ]& o* F7 `1 w7 e" K

9 N, h1 Z# o# ]! j  p- i8 \7 W1 B(A) indicate in a general way the size that a carbon tax must be for it to be   effective.
8 p0 |( T* m" }/ H  K- Y( y% {(B) provide the most accurate information available about the most practical   size for a carbon tax0 S+ X/ }' K& J$ B' {2 \
(C) suggest that the target recommended by the 1988 Toronto Conference is an   unrealistic one! \- u4 e* x% {) z, B$ K% D
(D) undermine the argument that a carbon tax would provide incentives for   user s to achieve emissions reductions
0 H* z2 t: G2 K% c, O(E) show how the size of an effective carbon tax can be calculated
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 00:29 , Processed in 0.221465 second(s), 21 queries .