只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 130|回复: 0

LSAT考试全真试题五SECTION2(5)

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 13:24:23 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Questions 22-23# s' H% i6 z8 V7 g/ A$ I: e( L
4 |$ R. G: y/ i1 K
Magazine editor: I know that some of our regular advertisers have been pressuring us to give favorable mention to their products in our articles, but they should realize that for us to yield to their wishes would actually be against their interests. To remain an effective advertising vehicle we must have loyal readership, and we would soon lost that readership if our readers suspect that our editorial integrity has been compromised by pandering to advertisers.
/ Q6 J/ y$ p4 [) N+ @9 g- M7 ]5 y% w* Y, K* y
Advertising-sales director: You underestimate the sophistication of our readers. They recognize that the advertisements we carry are not articles, so their response to the advertisements has never depended on their opinion of the editorial integrity of the magazine as a whole.
8 J; m% p6 X$ [# Q+ ^& o+ Y8 |  i( B, f- f( S
22. Which one of the following is the most accurate assessment of the advertising-sales director s argument as a response to the magazine editor s argument?6 a" p# }- Z6 m( j& s) L

4 D+ ]  b  m- h" Y(A) It succeeds because it shows that the editor s argument depends on an   unwarranted assumption about factors affecting an advertisement s   effectiveness
* V8 @" t4 R+ d; h  h7 [: R3 n  j(B) It success because it exposes as mistaken the editor s estimation of the   sophistication of the magazine s readers.
/ y* J' w/ I, A" h- G(C) It succeeds because it undermines the editor s claim about how the   magazine s editorial integrity would be affected by allowing advertisers to   influence articles.
5 s- ?( X) y* @(D) It fails because the editor s argument does not depend on any assumption   about readers response to the advertisements they see in the magazine.
3 I7 p% L1 V: k8 x(E) It fails because it is based on a misunderstanding of the editor s view about   how readers respond to advertiseements they see in the magazie.0 |5 {5 I0 n( V. g* U

* d, b7 M6 ]  l& n23. The magazine editor s argument assumes which one of the following?& o5 U# \  T- x% s
5 ?/ J8 |; m& M% D8 d" W
(A) A magazine editor should never be influenced in the performance of his or   her professional duties by the wishes of the companies that regularly   advertise in the magazine.
9 V* q. y7 r3 S1 }4 H5 t% g  p(B) The magazine cannot give any favorable mention in its articles to its regular   advertisers without compromising its reputation for editorial integrity
) b2 s4 q( D2 L) p9 @! G(C) Favorable mention of their products in the magazine s articles is of less   value to the advertisers than is the continued effectiveness of the magazine   as an advertising vehicle.) b- [( O7 G% q
(D) Giving favorable mention to a product in a magazine article is a more   effective form of advertising than is an explicit advertisement for the product   in the same magazine.& W1 P6 c* B1 A, l  a
(E) Carrying paid advertisements can never pose any threat to the magazine s   reputation for editorial integrity nor to the loyalty of its readership., D7 _3 w- I% g+ c

# i6 b/ v6 k* f) ~- @/ Q1 o! z24. Public policy dictates the health risks the public routinely takes. Statistical arguments about health risks are used primarily to deflect public fears, while contributing little to policy debate. For example, statisties are cited to imply that wearing a seat belt reduces one s risk of death in an automobile accident, deflecting attention from the fact that a transportation policy that promotes increasing use of automobiles inherently increases any individual s risk of death in an automobile accident.' J/ _; z& E5 Q8 k

2 a+ }1 \; w" [: \- |. @9 `  The way the example functions above is most closely paralleled in which one of the following?3 ^0 [7 P) }. @+ Y

! y* P( ~3 ]* n2 H6 I7 n6 s(A) Statisties indicate that an individual s risk of contracting cancer from   radiation emitted by a nuclear power plant is less than that of contracting   cancer from sunshine. These statisties draw attention away from the fact   that a policy of energy conservation is safer for human health than a policy   based on nuclear energy.
7 |/ |( a/ e8 ~' c* R(B) Statisties indicate that an urban resident s risk of accidental death from any   cause is no greater than that of an individual who lives in a suburban or   rural area. These statisties counter the widely held public belief that urban   areas are more dangerous than suburban or rural areas.% f( Z8 T8 f9 K( b% i6 Q- \$ [3 S
(C) Statisties indicate that the average life expectancy of males is shorter than   that of females. This alone shoud not influence policies regarding eligibility   for life insurance because it is also true that any individual s expectancy   can be calculated on the basis of personal characteristies and health   practices.
3 }0 `8 R- p4 i- e% r0 }; ]% M(D) Statisties indicate that the average life expectancy of males is shorter than   that of females. When one accounts for the fact that females smoke less   and are less likely to work in jobs in the chemical and manufacturing   industries, the difference in life expectancy is narrowed.) j" U8 G# o- L$ ^. Q+ `* o
(E) Statisties indicate that the number of people dependent on alcohol far   exceeds the number dependent on illegal addictive drugs; thus, any policy   for the control and treatment of substance abuse should provide for   treatment of alcoholism.
/ G! P0 L0 ~" t. }. A. c- K
( K) \1 }7 E, \* o1 O$ e25. S: It would be premature to act to halt the threatened "global warming trend," since that alleged trend might not be real. After all, scientists disagree about is, some predicting over twice as much warming as others, so clearly their predictions cannot be based on firm evidence
# b; b1 n. e( f( A0 ?" `2 L9 d6 t, G8 N6 k1 t5 M0 v! w: O
W; Most scientist consider discussions of accepted ideas boring, and prefer to argue about what is not known, According to the International Science Council there is a consensus among reputable investigators that average global warning in the next century will be from 1.5 to 4.5 C.4 j; l$ V! D  @: h

, B* T/ A8 i! I2 K4 ~3 p$ PW s rejoinder proceeds by
% l) e$ Z, t, f. Z* g; j& b2 [- Z6 ^) Y; k
(A) denying the existence of the disagreements cited by S, R7 V1 n: s  Y6 f2 Y6 ]
(B) accepting S s conclusion while disputing the reasons offered for it.
( s2 I4 |0 _6 P(C) relying on authorities whose views conflict with the views of the authorities   cited by S
* i+ ]3 i/ ]- @/ u+ S. r(D) putting disagreements cited by S in perspective by emphasizing similarities.( y/ I& g: m! m3 a. E
(E) reasoning in a circle by accepting evidence only if it agrees with a desired   conclusion
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-6 01:57 , Processed in 0.211613 second(s), 21 queries .