立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 187|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Issue写作范文三一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
31.         Financial gain is certainly one factor to consider when selecting a career. But
2 f: q3 `: x. Fmany people do not, and should not, focus on this factor as the main one. The role that
5 I* Z8 ]& c$ w+ i8 I& p' pmoney plays in career choice should depend on the priorities, goals and values of the
( p# C0 [8 S: i2 b2 I  Sparticular person making the choice., t* T$ v) q/ `! c9 R4 K
      The main problem with selecting a career primarily on the basis of money is that
  K; d- D: v( Z# r# pfor many people to do so would be to ignore one's personal values, needs, and larger ( Q# k/ c. e5 g2 l; u0 G
life goals. Indeed, many people appreciate this notion when they choose their career. For 6 K8 N8 G  q$ P9 I! B3 {2 @6 @
example, some people join one of the helping professions, such as nursing, teaching or # @* u8 K! z) R8 R
social work, well aware that their career will not be financially lucrative, Their choice
% F: l. y+ y2 \% pproperly stems from an overriding altruistic desire, not from an interest in financial gain.
  Q  d7 @4 c7 X5 q; ROthers choose to pursue intellectual or creative fulfillment—as writers, artists, or ' I# A* p7 ^: F1 _1 J0 _
musicians—knowing that they are trading off dollars for non-tangible rewards. Still + \8 w0 \: T5 Z" t- P  i5 {$ B% ?
others forego economic gain to work as full-time parents; for these people, family and & e  O' C( i6 }
children are of paramount importance in life. Finally, many people subordinate
5 d8 D1 v; Z: k# Xeconomic prospects to their desire to live in a particular location; these people may
8 Q: B0 J, T7 `( Fplace a high value on recreation, their physical health, or being near a circle of friends.$ d' _2 i0 h5 ]! Z
      Another problem with focusing primarily on money when selecting a career is that 5 @! K7 u5 d+ p: b0 a
it ignores the notion that making money is not an end in end of itself, but rather a means
$ L2 L) d2 r; x# uof obtaining material goods and services and of attaining important goals—such as ; f4 B$ S, [' ^: e) T( V) p! a
providing security for oneself and one's family, lifelong learning, or freedom to travel 4 E) w0 C) e$ F! b4 c
or to pursue hobbies. Acknowledging the distinction, one may nevertheless select a
2 X) r1 M8 u( K7 Ncareer on the basis of money—since more money can buy more goods and services as : A) ^; i1 b: M1 Q
well as the security, freedom, and time to enjoy them. Even so, one must strike a % D! A5 m5 H8 s$ Q4 X0 w$ C
balance, for if these things that money is supposed to provide are sacrificed in the
( _' h7 A2 j+ z  d1 ^" Gpursuit of money itself, the point of having money—and of one's career selection—has
& j( Y" I" K% |; ?been lost.: O6 k& x% F/ p8 y2 c" f
      In conclusion, economic gain should not be the overriding factor in selecting a
% g+ m' T0 n+ z0 [career. While for a few people the single-minded pursuit of wealth may be fulfillment
" X4 W/ p2 u8 y( ]: D3 Y1 T  Zenough, most people should, and indeed do, temper the pursuit of wealth against other
) O& @6 |( T; T' |$ d9 {/ evalues, goals, and priorities. Moreover, they recognize that money is merrily a means to 4 b+ X6 ?$ x4 E- C$ D
more important objectives, and that the pursuit itself may undermine the achievement of - s1 ^! [8 n! h3 D% h# }
these objectives.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 17:36 , Processed in 0.278287 second(s), 21 queries .