立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 114|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Issue写作范文四五

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
45.        The speaker claims that following high ethical standards is the best way to
, M$ S$ M4 s$ a/ H8 }6 H1 Fmaximize profits in the long run. However, this claim seems to be more of a normative 0 Q, Z" T) m7 J+ m! p; T
statement than an empirical observation. The issue is more complex than the speaker
! I; G: ~9 @1 o( x/ n- V- G& Gsuggests. In my observation, the two objectives at times coincide but at other times ' `: {7 o8 @- Y, Q# J1 \) t0 B
conflict.
0 t( K- N+ K, U1 q5 |; O* r6 j1 X$ M      In many ways behaving ethically can benefit a business. Ethical conduct will gain 1 T1 ]: B& [" [5 q. k: f# a4 V
a company good reputation that earns repeated business. Treating suppliers, customers % f/ N9 \6 c. O. R6 m
and others fairly is likely to result in their reciprocating. Finally, a company that treats & C5 B  l/ |: Y0 l; ^
its employees fairly and with respect will gain their loyalty which, in turn, usually & ?1 Q* L% C- S8 G
translates into higher productivity.
; J( j' e" b9 z0 ~      On the other hand, taking the most ethical course of action may in many cases % j1 i4 t9 O9 D3 q+ m
reduce profits, in the short run and beyond. Consider the details of a merger in which
5 I& j4 x8 J+ s  }  F0 Yboth firms hope to profit from a synergy gained thereby. If the details of the merger 4 o% l: G. M  q, b
hinge on the ethical conviction that as few employees as possible should lose their jobs,
2 h8 h8 \' v6 Vthe key executives may lose sight of the fact that a leaner, less labor-intensive
& l5 [' U9 n+ u4 o' Y# Forganization might be necessary for long-term survival. Thus, undue concern with
  s6 Q- o: H0 ~' Bethics in this case would results in lower profits and perhaps ultimate business failure.# Z6 l/ A$ A0 Y* [6 f
      This merger scenario points out a larger argument that the speaker misses ) X7 P$ P, V6 N
entirely—that profit maximization is per se the highest ethical objective in private " v& N8 f4 x! i$ t
business. Why? By maximizing profits, businesses bestow a variety of important
, U9 ?9 A/ t) a! b6 gbenefits on their community and on society: they employ more people, stimulate the
; ]* c, r/ I1 a/ v6 ^7 f9 peconomy, and enhance healthy competition. In short, the profit motive is the key to
, p9 L; o! O$ b; G9 G& ]2 ]' B) iensuring that the members of a free market society survive and thrive. While this 8 b8 x% l! l6 o7 e" ?# T
argument might ignore implications for the natural environment and for socio-economic
' \# J; e! k1 I9 @( K* p1 G' njustice, it is a compelling argument nonetheless.
1 c* Y: ~1 a: n" U* L0 R, J      Thus the choice to follow high ethical standards should not be made by thinking
5 t. m0 C/ Q3 z, p1 O, `that ethical conduct is profitable. While in some cases a commitment to high ethical   t8 \" {% B) X5 a8 J( k4 H- b
standards might benefit a company financially, in many cases it will not. In the final
; ~7 N0 v; d) r8 z9 Tanalysis, businesses might best be advised to view their attempts to maximize profits as
% @& Z2 U3 E3 `% ^highly ethical behavior.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 22:00 , Processed in 0.329204 second(s), 32 queries .