立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 134|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Issue写作范文六五

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
65. Although global homogeneity in a broader sense may not be as inexorable as the
# W  o* L* I/ q! cspeaker here suggests, I agree that multinational corporations are indeed creating global
( s1 z. G' d* V  G6 ?' `sameness in consumer preferences. This homogeneity is manifested in two concurrent
' p4 l: J7 e: y2 e, q5 u1 Cmegatrends: (1) the embracing of American popular culture throughout the world, and
0 i$ r0 Q( @3 k. _' A(2) a synthesis of cultures, as reflected in consumer preferences.
& u1 U% ^! a$ a      The first trend is toward Americanization of popular culture throughout the world. 3 i0 g: y+ q0 R0 W. h
In food and fashion, once a nation's denizens "fall into the Gap" or get a taste of a Coke 1 i+ Y' P' V) x0 J
or Big Mac, their preferences are forever Westernized. The ubiquitous Nike "swoosh,"
1 z) Y  K/ M# awhich nearly every soccer player in the world will soon don, epitomizes this
$ w: P& Z$ g1 H; [/ a' ]  cphenomenon. In media, the cultural agendas of giants such as Time-Warner now drive   ]4 B! M$ F0 ^
the world's entertainment preferences. The Rolling Stones and the stars of America's
6 X, `2 k# Z5 |) fprime-time television shows are revered among young people worldwide, while
( h: q/ Y6 }/ K1 y* F, |Mozart's music, Shakespeare's prose, and Ghandi's ideology are largely ignored.9 }" q8 R; V+ U+ P
      A second megatrend is toward a synthesis of cultures into a homogenous stew.
- o1 F8 Y# F+ F  YThe popularity of "world music" and of the "New Age" health care and leisure-time 5 {% ]- |+ C; n- [$ b5 w1 {
activities aptly illustrate this blending of Eastern, Western and third-world cultures. / M: [* f  M' p3 C3 @/ K
Perhaps nowhere is the cultural-stew paradigm more striking, and more bland, than at
0 G' m+ w& C7 ]& lthe international "food courts" now featured in malls throughout the developed world.9 t" H: [  o+ u) \$ z; C
      These trends appear inexorable. Counter-attacks, such as Ebonies, rap music, and * `$ o7 q0 h! c- |6 F0 }" g
bilingual education, promote the distinct culture of minority groups, but not of nations. 3 O, v! r7 @6 f3 f  ]6 C; S, F* k
Further homogenization of consumer preferences is all but ensured by failing trade
" b: _9 ^( g, `barriers, coupled with the global billboard that satellite communications and the Internet 5 [: b9 ], \, V* k
provide.3 l3 K5 z0 w! e; y- K, u% ~
      In sum, American multinationals have indeed instigated a homogeneous global, 2 I) ?0 J+ a& b, e; D/ y7 I
yet American-style, consumerism—one which in all likelihood will grow in extent 1 r% _9 V9 X2 {/ U) P& u7 B7 J
along with free-market capitalism and global connectivity.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 23:19 , Processed in 0.151926 second(s), 21 queries .