立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 109|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Issue写作范文六四

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
64.        I agree that business has some obligation to the community and society in which it 5 t! n! n, k0 A3 D& \* E
operates. As it stands, however, the statement permits one to conclude that this
9 ~" O" f5 u/ w6 \% v( Oobligation should take precedence over the profit objective. By allowing for this
: A( j- r7 g6 D6 B1 {9 Sinterpretation, the speaker fails to appreciate the problems associated with shouldering $ P3 k5 ], y3 n  n' i; A1 d
business with an affirmative duty to ensure the public's well being.% `2 D# J  U+ ^1 T  O
      The primary reason why I agree business should have a duty to the public is that ( k. F+ O  |( Z3 e9 x7 r  U6 N$ p
society would be worse off by exonerating business from social responsibility. Left
; ~- m+ \# N" c3 r; f, f& Y" }entirely to their own self-interest, businesses pollute the environment, withhold
6 }8 I  }* R/ L7 Q/ limportant product information from consumers, pay employees substandard wages, and
) m9 J. F$ d: S$ S  hmisrepresent their financial condition to current and potential shareholders. Admittedly, % s/ l9 R" o. i2 m9 ~% i1 a, }' k
in its pursuit of profit business can benefit the society as well—by way of more and , ~7 S4 c+ @( j5 A2 V
better-paying jobs, economic growth, and better yet lower-priced products. However, 4 h# ^" r+ i: T! G7 a
this point ignores the harsh consequences—such as those listed earlier—of imposing no
% h/ S6 z$ l3 a' o; |2 A* U- ~affirmative social duty on business.
: h* M8 v9 q1 ?: ?; {8 ]      Another reason why I agree business should have a duly to the public is that # Q+ V" `1 Y. s$ j+ V5 C
business owes such a duty. A business enters into an implied contract with the
5 \. Q$ _6 y7 @: x( ~: x0 ]community in which it operates, under which the community agrees to permit a ! M3 S) o3 r# B& Z6 v9 x
corporation to co business while the business implicitly promises to benefit, and not & Z4 d4 u8 d& P# h4 g( x$ J  e
harm, the community. This understanding gives rise to a number of social obligations on
- h9 D3 q1 g  q4 W" [4 Bthe part of the business—to promote consumer safety, to not harm the environmental, to
9 F$ _0 P3 @1 V1 z6 N  T" Ptreat employees and competitors fairly, and so on.& \( h3 o& \2 N# p! Q7 n/ i  }0 I
      Although I agree that business should have a duty to serve the pubic, I disagree
: P$ ]# ?) L# S0 S9 uthat this should be the primarily objective of business. Imposing affirmative social 6 L9 C7 k3 \2 X' h8 n
duties on business opens a Pandora's box of problems—for example, how to determine. 3 l& v6 n( o) A! b5 v4 p
(1) what the public interest is in the first place, (2) which public interests are most " `% u/ c  v. ]# ^) F* T
important, (3) what actions are in the public interest, and (4) how business' duty to the
; i# l& Q0 m. _% apublic might be monitored and enforced. Government regulation is the only practical : ~3 n' {1 x" x/ s
way to deal with these issues, yet government is notoriously inefficient and corrupt; the 7 b/ L2 h. r( M# m: _
only way to limit these problems is to limit the duty of business to serve the public
, `$ Z# b/ n5 V( s, [% D  f0 winterest.
+ R' g3 d! }' X  D      In sum, I agree that the duty of business should extend beyond the simple profit 6 k( l5 |0 A. Q  t( Z$ o6 P0 X3 ^
motive. However, its affirmative obligations to society should be tempered against the
/ `& u" v. Y, v, b4 y  i5 Apubic benefits of the profit motive and against the practical problems associates
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-30 00:10 , Processed in 0.208083 second(s), 21 queries .