立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 128|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Issue写作范文八九

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
89.        The speaker suggests that studying history is a waste of time because it distracts
4 B0 @, b) q3 n( i0 g+ Y! l+ \us from current challenges. Posed this way, the question carries the assumption that the
, |; x0 g* o" v5 ]7 r( [study of history has no bearing on present problems or their possible solutions. On the , n, P8 L2 y. K; x# C
contrary, history can provide examples, perspectives and insights that are directly ( O0 c: V5 m1 Z# W' x/ x5 o1 o6 p
relevant to contemporary challenges.
) S+ H4 \$ }$ J6 j      One way that studying history can help us face new challenges is by showing us ; R6 ]! x' y: P  N
inspirational examples of success. For instance, we can learn from the experience of the
- p" W$ |1 o$ u& l8 W' W9 ogreat inventor Thomas Edison that sometimes a series of apparent failures is really a ; O( r, t% B5 n( M9 ]( f8 ~
precursor to success. Also consider the journey of Lewis and dark into the Northwest 2 T- c3 Q5 K1 f# ~2 E
Territory. Understanding the motivations needed to overcome adversities they faced can 0 t% e, N0 l+ x% A! N6 o& u
help to inspire modern-day explorers and scientists.
0 M. \: k+ K) \& @0 X      Studying history can also help us avoid repeating mistakes. For instance, we can
$ E/ H! b7 X- n" R" x. W3 `8 blearn from the failure of Prohibition during the 1930s that it can be a mistake to legislate
6 j2 N" V4 }+ Y, n0 {morality. And future generations might learn from the 1997 indictment of the tobacco ; C+ F2 P" T+ f. w7 j4 V
industry that it is bad policy to trade off the well-being of consumers in order to secure # `1 F+ @7 W! R/ h) d
profits." m% q  W8 I5 O4 U% j
      Finally, the study of history is important because we cannot fully appreciate our , [. S9 B7 Y9 @2 G% X+ |- F
present challenges without understanding their historical antecedents. Consider the issue
9 p0 N: a- Y0 ], H' k5 Pof whether California should be officially bilingual. The treaty that transferred
! x6 e% @0 z, [3 W1 GCalifornia from Mexico to the United States stipulated that California must embrace
: Q% H& \' B( pboth Spanish and English as official languages. Those who view the current bilingual
- c& n2 F$ l6 y1 u) Ydebate as purely a contemporary issue might bring to the debate a more enlightened
, r: F3 [( X; w# Jviewpoint by appreciating this historical fact and the events that led to the treaty.6 ^4 {$ b4 D# a( D) }7 E9 L5 N' ]
      In sum, though the past might seem distant, it is far from irrelevant. Studying 8 i) C$ f5 d; d8 ?) J5 v
history can inspire us to achievement, help us avoid costly mistakes, and help us simply # h3 v6 e  S# k4 f9 W/ ?% {! i
appreciate that in most cases we've been down this road before.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-4-29 17:43 , Processed in 0.318836 second(s), 21 queries .