立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 174|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Issue写作范文七七

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
77.        I strongly agree that true genius is the ability to see beyond conventional modes of 6 c. J7 A, m& }" p# ^/ K; E
thinking and to suggest new and better ones. This definition properly sets genius apart
% X- \/ f% v( J2 r. Tfrom lesser instances of critical acumen, inventiveness or creativity. Under this , p4 R  m1 z) d6 W% q
definition, a true genius must successfully (1) challenge the assumptions underlying a % S" t5 F  O& y% d
current paradigm, and (2) supplant the old paradigm with a new, better, and more   T1 M* ~0 y7 s4 U$ N8 q! L
fruitful one.
* s! w, S1 S4 \, R. D9 @  r      This two-pronged standard for true genius is aptly illustrated by examining the
/ T% m, K" H7 u3 ~1 H7 U8 W0 escientific contribution of the 15th-century astronomer Copernicus. Prior to Copernicus,
0 U+ U: H8 v$ |$ O1 M# |4 N+ lour view of the universe was governed by the Ptolemaic paradigm of a geocentric
. ?1 o  I" c$ a2 ~# `: O/ H& Muniverse, according to which our earth was in a fixed position at the center of the
$ ]/ o! m, _( f% p3 l, U4 h2 I4 Iuniverse, with other heavenly bodies revolving around it. Copernicus challenged this ; O( r* k. N) ]+ C
paradigm and its key assumptions by introducing a distinction between real motion and
' T' j' W& s9 I) Pmotion that is merely apparent, in doing so, he satisfied the first requirement of a true
" V* k9 ?# ]  f0 q* t4 ?1 F% B8 sgenius.
2 c9 k8 R  m& t" h* M( F0 D) ^& T/ F      Had Copernicus managed to show only that the old view and its assumptions were / @( R- O) K2 |5 U7 x) Z6 L# C, `
problematic, we would not consider him a genius today. Copernicus went on, however,
/ Z$ G5 z1 c# M( q+ Vto develop a new paradigm; he claimed that the earth is rotating while hurtling rapidly
4 ^. }5 y* d8 x6 Ithrough space, and that other heavenly bodies only appear to revolve around the earth. ( ?! `- G8 _; M# ]) R" W
Moreover, he reasoned that his view about the earth's real motion could explain the 1 Y8 B# _, v& ~( a( ?) Z5 F& c$ w
apparent motion of the sun, stars and other planets around the earth. It turned out he was - D% E* S: A0 Z# g! r4 ]% g
right; and his theories helped facilitate Galileo's empirical observations, Kepler's laws
) A1 i, @  L  Cof planetary motion, and Newton's gravitational principle.
5 c. C1 Y5 W1 v9 A2 S2 I+ k      To sum up, I find the proposed definition of true genius incisive and accurate; and
" s! F. U3 N- E1 H6 e% O& @( Lthe example of Copernicus aptly points up the two required elements of true genius
- X9 m3 o& T# J" n4 X( }, c( lrequired by the definition.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 14:26 , Processed in 0.308742 second(s), 21 queries .