立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 133|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Issue写作范文七五

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
75.        The speaker claims that people are motivated only by fear and self-interest. This 5 I% U% r- ?. n" }/ X; p- F9 q! F$ }
claim relies on the belief that human beings are essentially selfish, or egoistic. In my
8 L7 X. Z  I2 Y: }8 jview, the speaker oversimplifies human nature, ignoring the important motivating force
/ q# o1 H) H+ K- Dof altruism.& C/ B# Z+ U6 C2 C. j7 H! p
      On the one hand, I agree that most of our actions result in large part from self-
2 z# h$ Q! {4 D% b8 o# r/ S2 [# O4 m# m! cinterest and from our survival instincts, such as fear. For example, our educational and ) @( {  k4 m9 \, k  Q$ R& ?6 R
vocational lives are to a great extent motivated by our interest in ensuring our own 2 p6 \: E0 W1 p# ?4 K, @5 L
livelihood, safety, health, and so on. We might perpetuate bad personal relationships
  s" U: w- d% p9 Y* k$ qbecause we are insecure—or afraid—of what will happen to us if we change course. ! y6 L/ ?' u& B) @8 F: M
Even providing for our own children may to some extent be motivated by selfishness—
0 z7 s+ ~! P* v* [4 f8 Hsatisfying a need for fulfillment or easing our fear that we will be alone in our old age.! n) U0 |4 U7 e1 u
      On the other hand, to assert that all of our actions are essentially motivated by & @" U8 E- J* t4 t# c
self-interest and fear is to overemphasize one aspect of human nature. Humans are also * M8 O0 V5 C# l4 T8 b4 p: [5 }! T
altruistic—that is, we act to benefit others, even though doing so may not in be in our . b9 w6 B9 W6 t0 X" @) o% J
own interest. The speaker might claim that altruistic acts are just egoistic ones in
; ]; j1 Q8 A; T+ J# V5 n9 P' adisguise—done to avoid unpleasant feelings of guilt, to give oneself pleasure, or to
3 O6 S' z" e' ?4 X; Pobligate another person. However, this counter argument suffers from three critical
! i2 Y( ]( t- K4 k3 |; U. ~! [problems. First, some examples of altruism are difficult to describe in terms of self-
$ D& V* Y9 Z" }7 S) a& L+ ?" {& Jinterest alone. Consider the soldier who falls on a grenade to save his companions. It 9 i9 z* f/ H+ l* t) R
would be nonsensical to assert that this soldier is acting selfishly when he knows his 7 n6 k- P* Y- k& F; x/ ^: r! e
action will certainly result in his own immediate death. Second, the argument offends : n* L& N" B  V
our intuition that human motivation is far more complex. Third, it relies on a poor
- @( O9 e2 @, iassumption: just because we feel good about helping others, it does not follow that the 6 K* p, G9 J. G% b0 ]/ S
only reason we help is in order to feel good.% q3 @: Z& z  p
      In sum, the speaker oversimplifies human nature. All human motivation cannot be / b+ M8 ^! W: |
reduced to fear and self-interest. We can also be motivated by altruism, and the pleasure
  n' m$ N) z3 T, F0 iwe might take in helping others is not necessarily an indication that our actions are
) h  U2 K- `5 C" L  K' Qselfish.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 19:49 , Processed in 0.246026 second(s), 21 queries .