立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 87|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文八十

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
10.        The conclusion in this argument is that the state legislature need not consider the
8 `  X9 e+ W. K" s- eviews of protesting students. To support this conclusion, the author points out that only . P2 v( {; Z' V; u" \5 c" w2 _
200 of the 12,000 students traveled to the state capitol to voice their concerns about 2 ]. [3 a  i) [' s5 S. B
proposed cuts in college programs. Since the remaining students did not take part in this
9 F8 t: F$ S2 k1 I- }( H. Y. Nprotest, the author concludes they are not interested in this issue. The reasoning in this 6 h% l# b% b4 s& p
argument is flawed for two reasons.) J* e1 b' N4 L' ~% J- }- u
      First, the author assumes that because only one-tenth of the students took part in
' A+ W, e- G" Qthe protest, these students' views are unrepresentative of the entire student body. This # k  S& Y' ^+ h. F, `7 K
assumption is unwarranted. If it turns out, for example, that the protesting students were
2 j+ x3 q( R4 L. z2 W! Qrandomly selected from the entire student body, their views would reflect the views of
, ?. h8 o! J, Z7 V+ g- T& uthe entire college. Without information regarding the way in which the protesting
6 x" P7 N  T$ [. K; A1 Kstudents were selected, it is presumptuous to conclude that their opinions fail to reflect
  J1 U! f/ [1 k! s8 h# Wthe opinions of their colleagues.& G. V) ^6 H8 Z/ e$ Q
      Second, the author cites the fact that the remaining 12,000 students stayed on
5 ^8 f+ q$ I: \0 w! U. B# a7 z8 scampus or left for winter break as evidence that they are not concerned about their 5 Y1 i1 _- T$ s; W5 f" I  b- O
education. One obvious rejoinder to this line of reasoning is that the students who did : w8 g' M  I* f
not participate did so when they that their concerns would be expressed by the 6 o" A; {7 l/ g
protesting students. In any case, the author has failed to demonstrate a logical
. \3 n/ C7 C2 H+ e/ Mconnection between the students' alleged lack of concern and the fact that they either
% p7 B% P6 W- lstayed on campus or left for winter break. Without this connection, the conclusion # H# a) G" O1 Q$ c" J3 n& q" H
reached by the author that the remaining 12,000 students are not concerned about their # E6 l  c, f6 l. h1 Z
education is unacceptable.
" Q5 C+ U5 s/ M! s7 Z, A      As it stands, the argument is not well reasoned. To make it logically acceptable,
/ E6 V! ^% A/ y+ X& Fthe author would have to demonstrate that the protesting students had some
" P! o; z8 y3 t! Q; q6 {characteristic in common that biases their views, thereby nullifying their protest as
4 P' H* h% i% T# Q9 T# b" rrepresentative of the entire college.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 13:12 , Processed in 0.263569 second(s), 21 queries .