立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 87|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文八六

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
4.  In response to a coincidence between calling revenues and delays in 9 N3 W. m( x1 X" j- F# ?
manufacturing, the report recommends replacing the manager of the purchasing
. F% f7 G: H3 p* Q  s: I) ?department. The grounds for this action are twofold. First, the delays are traced to poor
8 |4 v9 {- P( u% g5 zplanning in purchasing metals. Second, the purchasing manager's lack of knowledge of
9 J! r( L# `( D: F3 bthe properties of metals is thought to be the cause of the poor planning. It is further # L1 W5 F7 B% f9 z' F+ ~8 @) j  ~1 }: l
recommended that the position of the purchasing manager be filled by a scientist from 4 K5 ^1 m" h/ w- b. h& R
the research division and that the current purchasing manager be reassigned to the sales - o0 f2 b8 O, [. f# w
department. In support of this latter recommendation, the report states that the current
% L3 s2 A0 h( e! ^9 b& a3 Q# b" jpurchasing manager's background in general business, psychology, and sociology equip 5 `: L7 F2 V. ~' H
him for this new assignment. The recommendations advanced in the report are / [. b' s( Y9 B4 A8 _% G
questionable for two reasons.
- U8 c" F" L+ f0 H6 z6 g4 C      To begin with, the report fails to establish a causal connection between the falling 0 n. ]. g/ A3 q* K: w
revenues of the company and the delays in manufacturing. The mere fact that falling 1 w; D9 P1 i2 K7 O; h
revenues coincide with delays in manufacturing is insufficient to conclude that the 6 G5 t# w! q; [. ?
delays caused the decline in revenue. Without compelling evidence to support the causal
, E8 R% q: `) |$ sconnection between these two events, the report's recommendations are not worthy of
4 T6 t5 r5 H; _  _# N& i% iconsideration.
! L; D: G! N9 |/ W7 [. w      Second, a central assumption of the report is that knowledge of the properties of
9 ]+ ?2 j  R" E; T. nmetals is necessary for planning in purchasing metals. No evidence is stated in the ' D+ }9 G. L, P
report to support this crucial assumption. Moreover, it is not obvious that such
0 k# I3 ~4 [5 Q  Z, I. v+ ^% oknowledge would be required to perform this task. Since planning is essentially a 1 P1 u3 I/ X( W& c3 e
logistical function, it is doubtful that in-depth knowledge of the properties of metals ) A# N5 ~* g* D; }& g
would be helpful in accomplishing this task.
1 v( o1 h/ T3 a      In conclusion, this is a weak argument. To strengthen the recommendation that the - z3 V6 m* F& F& E# b2 G. g' \! ~
manager of the purchasing department be replaced, the author would have to + N4 y1 ~$ o6 e% b, ^" F" V/ o( P
demonstrate that the falling revenues were a result of the delays in manufacturing. - r$ i' t+ ]  c" }+ g+ k! I* v
Additionally, the author would have to show that knowledge of the properties of metals
& Q& [6 }% j4 `8 L' c7 Nis a prerequisite for planning in purchasing metals.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 12:15 , Processed in 0.284776 second(s), 21 queries .