立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 104|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文八九

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
1.  Citing facts drawn from the color-film processing industry that indicate a ; V0 c( \, j) L6 Z- y, W( j3 U  q
downward trend in the costs of film processing over a 24-year period, the author argues
1 c6 H9 j$ @' r; fthat Olympic Foods will likewise be able to minimize costs and thus maximize profits 0 |4 j) L# s9 C) |
in the future. In support of this conclusion the author cites the general principle that "as , e" i& R5 D7 r6 ]  k7 u
organizations learn how to do things better, they become more efficient." This principle,
% ~+ I; W2 N3 Z: wcoupled with the fact that Olympic Foods has had 25 years of experience in the food
5 |7 u: @, y6 k) x; `processing industry leads to the author's rosy prediction. This argument is unconvincing
$ E; _& O9 O8 F; ~" Mbecause it suffers from two critical flaws./ \  }2 J" f/ g% r) x
      First, the author's forecast of minimal costs and maximum profits rests on the : l5 u5 k  K1 T# k: t- F0 \
gratuitous assumption that Olympic Foods' "long experience" has taught it how to do
) i4 S. A: ^- ]things better. There is, however, no guarantee that this is the case. Nor does the author
4 r( }9 E; S8 d: {; Ucite any evidence to support this assumption. Just as likely, Olympic Foods has learned / ^* s2 s. I0 S$ j+ p' i! E  O
nothing from its 25 years in the food-processing business. Lacking this assumption, the
0 d( \0 k! X; \3 g7 C# Wexpectation of increased efficiency is entirely unfounded.
; ~) h% l, [1 ?8 e- h3 I      Second, it is highly doubtful that the facts drawn from the color-film processing ! L# i& Q7 M/ D5 Q- D. J$ X$ _
industry are applicable to the food processing industry. Differences between the two
" ]8 ^* v9 J' d5 ?+ gindustries clearly outweigh the similarities, thus making the analogy highly less than 4 E! n: X; }4 w( z. Z. f
valid. For example, problems of spoilage, contamination, and timely transportation all $ i4 K& I* ~# r% t, z% y
affect the food industry but are virtually absent in the film-processing industry. + m4 G7 S" T% W) Z* q1 j
Problems such as these might present insurmountable obstacles that prevent lowering * j" [- e; O" S9 n
food-processing costs in the future.& ^3 u! F8 b% x( H! s/ y. s) Q
      As it stands the author's argument is not compelling. To strengthen the conclusion 5 m8 l8 i, D- j
that Olympic Foods will enjoy minimal costs and maximum profits in the future, the
- W" v" b% [: E4 i9 C4 Hauthor would have to provide evidence that the company has learned how to do things
5 X# o; Z) c* f5 I( a6 ybetter as a result of its 25 years of experience. Supporting examples drawn from
0 ?9 g: n1 z+ H' l% N0 aindustries more similar to the food-processing industry would further substantiate the 6 [3 O6 t$ r5 |& M, |
author's view.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 17:40 , Processed in 0.177198 second(s), 21 queries .