立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 120|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文七三

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
17.        This ad recommends non-prescription Acid-Ease over non-prescription Pepticaid * P1 ?. J# E: e5 ~. c$ S
for relief of excess stomach acid. The only reason offered is that doctors have written 76
/ g) c# w6 }9 h& _$ amillion more prescriptions for the full-strength prescription form of Acid-Ease than for 3 ?% a; @7 U* _" c
full-strength Pepticaid. While this reason is relevant, and provides some grounds for
4 i1 J5 l- U# F" u/ `preferring Acid-Ease over Pepticaid, it is insufficient as it stands because it depends on
) s; ^+ J* a2 F" h% d* Pthree unwarranted assumptions.
3 b/ M) T# J) ~" \, o: q      The first assumption is that the prescription form of Acid-Ease is more popular
: G: F$ _: O6 B0 @: n+ namong doctors. But this might not be the case, even though doctors have written 76 + O# z+ r+ D8 L. d3 j3 C
million more prescriptions for Acid-Ease. Acid-Ease may have been available for
* f" p' T) d% ]several more years than Pepticaid; and in the years when both products were available,
  B% T' o; c5 y6 U) xPepticaid might have actually been prescribed more often than Acid-Ease.4 ]' B* N( \% ~) R3 D
      The second assumption is that doctors prefer the prescription form of Acid-Ease
) J  F& z+ _+ V) z$ i& b+ M9 Xfor the reason that it is in fact more effective at relieving excess stomach acid. However,
; c0 G/ c) Z* @; I9 Z, ~. b2 Mdoctors may have preferred Acid-Ease for reasons other than its effectiveness. Perhaps " ?. R: H4 Q/ S: F0 o
Acid-Ease is produced by a larger, more familiar drug company or by one that
) @8 B$ U3 a1 b( Ydistributes more free samples. For that matter, the medical community may have simply
) T, O  h& }, @* `" w' fbeen mistaken in thinking that Acid-Ease was more effective. In short, the number of
. y$ h! p2 @% A0 f# ]/ |7 Mprescriptions by itself is not conclusive as to whether one product is actually better than
* a! a' n3 W5 janother.
* k7 `4 q9 k: u) p: H      The third assumption is that the milder non-prescription forms of Acid-Ease and * b+ }8 ~9 m" V. p, V
Pepticaid will be analogous to the full-strength prescription forms of each. But this , a$ e$ a% a$ y2 T6 r. W/ o
might not be the case. Suppose for the moment that the greater effectiveness of 0 M- S7 {$ ?" d; D) _- U5 T
prescription Acid-Ease has been established; even so, the non-prescription form might 7 K/ \, ~1 {1 y1 p4 h
not measure up to non-prescription Pepticaid. This fact must be established
) E- s! b4 A1 K: x5 }independently.: M9 m* M/ ]# _: r. o
      In conclusion, this ad does not provide enough support for its recommending non-
: W: w& W$ _5 c+ l# @& ?1 W! [prescription Acid-Ease over non-prescription Pepticaid. To strengthen its argument, the # z( W! |- ~" v* i0 A. d
promoter of Acid-Ease would have to show that (1) the comparison between the number ; k+ A6 @* K: C' O
of prescriptions is based on the same time period; (2) its effectiveness is the main reason
  F2 Z! S: @4 u3 n1 E" Z/ C# tmore doctors have prescribed it, and (3) the comparative effectiveness of the two non-  i4 d  h7 z. e4 V6 O( j# [
prescription forms is analogous to that of the prescription forms.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 13:22 , Processed in 0.365408 second(s), 21 queries .