立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 72|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文七四

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
16.         Demographic trends that indicate an increase in the number of college-aged ( X' M" g$ Y1 Z7 n  \2 @& q
people over the next ten years lead the author to predict an improved job market for all
# |6 {$ D+ M) T. O( dpeople seeking college-level teaching positions in their academic disciplines. Moreover, 6 t; {% b7 s/ C5 C- T
the author argues that since Waymarsh University students with advanced degrees had
" C* ~! _  v8 san especially difficult time finding teaching jobs in the past, these trends portend better
8 ]) }# y" k/ h& B; b. I) i& Y0 utimes ahead for Waymarsh graduates. This argument is problematic in three important 4 i4 m3 _. o4 y4 x4 ?0 Z6 O
respects.2 k. q8 l' `8 h4 r2 E. ^& E
      First, the author assumes that an increase in the number of college-aged people " t. F6 H( j; a. J: _
over the next decade will necessarily result in an increase in the number of people who
$ l4 |3 G( M/ E) v+ oattend college during this period. While this is a reasonable assumption, it is by no 8 e7 D2 k# Q- ]* M
means a certainty. For example, a world war or economic depression in the next decade
3 p/ J6 e6 y; h0 o$ @2 Jwould certainly nullify this expectation.
5 \! R6 m' |, O8 ?+ S0 B' |9 Q      Second, even if we grant the preceding assumption, we must also consider the 5 F4 g+ m* R9 C" U
additional assumption that increased university enrollments will lead to an increase in - |- @% @( Y  }- V9 d1 \; a
teaching positions in all fields. However, it might turn out that some teaching specialties
; r; _. Y. J6 v6 Z' Oare in greater demand than others in the future, resulting in a disproportionate number of 7 e3 j) y' L. u
teaching positions available in various fields. Consequently, persons trained in some
, D1 p- M  f8 j; xfields might find it more difficult, if not impossible, to find teaching jobs in the future.+ ^( x) }% s6 E9 Q
      Finally, little can be foretold regarding the employability of Waymarsh graduates 6 C1 e" M( d+ @# |) N' V$ n2 P) i
in the future based on the information provided in the argument. Lacking information & H! U9 \2 q: H  u& y3 [
about the reasons why Waymarsh graduates had an especially difficult time finding
& R/ _  j0 ~# Q3 _teaching jobs, it is difficult to assess their prospects for the future. It is probable,
3 o) T/ i1 s: O- Khowever, that since Waymarsh has had an especially hard time placing graduates in the
- y0 x+ R5 N$ J4 _! C) Zpast, the mere fact that more jobs are available will not, by itself, ensure that Waymarsh
$ c9 V# h' e3 B( r( k$ \0 g# K# t+ w  egraduates will have an easier time finding teaching jobs during the next decade.
' d; c3 v' V  D# f! O      In conclusion, this argument is unconvincing. To strengthen the argument, the ( A0 k, ^/ c- ]! a
author must provide evidence that the only major trend in the next decade will be an
0 r  i) ~+ K, _  J4 B  Y2 L2 Sincrease in the number of people reaching college age. Regarding the future prospects ( G- a% p% \) }
for Waymarsh graduates, the author must provide evidence that there were no
5 q# O, z+ z0 @idiosyncratic reasons that prevented them from finding jobs in the past.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 20:23 , Processed in 0.246062 second(s), 21 queries .