立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 116|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文七一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
19.        Recent social changes in the country of Spiessa lead the author to predict a
: p, k% P% o/ _continued surge in growth of that country's restaurant industry. Rising personal incomes, , E5 d! z* i& A% d8 T
additional leisure time, an increase in single-person households, and greater interest in
" v6 `1 [- L+ Z3 C) V7 H, Kgourmet food are cited as the main reasons for this optimistic outlook. All of these
5 x+ O: ?" j$ [% \- t9 q% D0 Yfactors are indeed relevant to growth in the restaurant industry; so the prediction appears 8 a( I" P6 k  N
reasonable on its face. However, three questionable assumptions operative in this
5 L6 i! k1 k  Q- s8 Uargument bear close examination.
5 d7 Z7 q+ ]4 `; G) i      The first dubious assumption is that the supply of restaurants in Spiessa will $ Z4 k9 }6 ^3 W: J0 z7 M
continue to grow at the same rate as in the recent past. However, even in the most
0 g" R0 M' O2 O; C) Q# ~* Efavorable conditions and the best of economic times there are just so many restaurants 6 V, r1 e1 T* N
that a given population can accommodate and sustain. It is possible that the demand for
, G6 ]! |( y6 s" ^/ hrestaurants has already been met by the unprecedented growth of the past decade, in
0 [2 l2 I# N' G/ t& X; vwhich case the recent social changes will have little impact on the growth of the 7 v5 d" p3 F8 f, R
restaurant industry.1 A, z% {9 x1 X% x  a
      A second assumption is that the economic and social circumstances cited by the - s5 }9 P8 T/ a1 g
author will actually result in more people eating out at restaurants. This assumption is
7 g& q' D! n9 s0 }: Y8 Runwarranted, however. For example, increased leisure time may just as likely result in
- G% y  p0 t, }3 b/ pmore people spending more time cooking gourmet meals in their own homes. Also,
& m5 z# i, n0 N# l5 s% t4 T: zsingle people may actually be more likely than married people to eat at home than to go
' Y! u: {5 Y( eout for meals. Finally, people may choose to spend their additional income in other * R( J, P! S0 a8 H
ways—on expensive cars, travel, or larger homes.
0 Z3 l. q& c9 w8 E& Z4 V) Y      A third poor assumption is that, even assuming people in Spiessa will choose to
4 [: a  F4 E+ d8 Kspend more time and money eating out, no extrinsic factors will stifle this demand. This 1 C8 v) }9 o- J: l
assumption is unwarranted. Any number of extrinsic factors—such as a downturn in the
; a- `6 U: {$ u. |general economy or significant layoffs at Spiessa's largest businesses—may stall the " W" A# C7 H# N3 ^7 U! Q
current restaurant surge. Moreover, the argument fails to specify the "social changes"
" P) x9 A5 L" L) |+ d( Sthat have led to the current economic boom. If it turns out these changes are politically * j3 E! h9 |9 I! G5 s# z/ l  ], T5 {
driven, then the surge may very well reverse if political power changes hands.
: S1 a: A9 @: _! R. h; W7 ^      In conclusion, this argument unfairly assumes a predictable future course for both ' T; ?# i0 c+ U' s- b3 K8 Z
supply and demand. To strengthen the argument, the author must at the very least show
! K& i& J& [; _' C4 E, Cthat demand for new restaurants has not yet been exhausted, that Spiessa can
) t. d% O8 K: _7 e6 e  eaccommodate new restaurants well into the future, and that the people of Spiessa
+ m, S; o1 @& x% C: T3 x& _) M' B% kactually want to eat out more.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 18:40 , Processed in 0.255027 second(s), 21 queries .