立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 101|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文五九

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
31.        In this argument a consulting firm recommends the transfer of investments from ) ?: ^" i) n3 }7 N/ q, O" \1 ]) |
Cola Loca to Early Bird Coffee because, during the next 20 years, coffee demand will
' P2 h6 R1 x+ n: A4 zincrease while cola demand will decrease. This prediction is based on the expectation
2 l. z4 C- z7 Y) D8 b% Qthat the number of older adults will significantly increase over the next 20 years, 3 E, i" ^8 I5 j) p. X
together with statistics, reportedly stable for the past 40 years, indicating that coffee . \  ?9 M( q" j2 O2 u# J
consumption increases with age while cola consumption declines with increasing age.
7 E+ W/ t% ^& A+ |( o! J  S- vFor three reasons, this financial advice may not be sound., N: l! b& i- _5 r% j& N5 p+ Y
      First, the argument assumes that relative supply conditions will remain unchanged
* q5 [: A2 H. G1 E) `4 Iover the next twenty years. However, the supply and cost of cola and coffee beans, as ( Z& O+ d+ V; P, t
well as other costs of doing business as a producer of coffee or cola, may fluctuate
- q9 [+ Z: [" |; {3 [! Ggreatly over a long time period. These factors may affect comparative prices of coffee : i$ [* d# a2 Y  {
and cola, which in turn may affect comparative demand and the value of investments in
- d1 M. l. `4 P" ccoffee and cola companies. Without considering other factors that contribute to the   x" b; Z) ]& G2 k% [
value of a coffee or cola company, the firm cannot justify its recommendation., R! |. V8 J$ U" z% Q
      Secondly, the argument fails to account for the timing of the increase in coffee
/ e" Y& H4 f) ]/ Y3 ]consumption. Perhaps the population will age dramatically during the next five years,
" C( ?7 f0 R0 D' ]6 uthen remain relatively flat over the following 15 years. Or perhaps most of the increase 5 A" ?. P! w: x
in average age will occur toward the end of the 20-year period. An investor has more 1 l* F: K, k! c5 F
opportunity to profit over the short and long term in the first scenario than in the second,
0 T/ y% ]0 U9 D* q0 X* @  W6 N; S! vassuming the investor can switch investments along the way. If the second scenario 5 B# E7 a' S7 a
reflects the facts, the firm's recommendation would be ill-founded.* b2 G5 C+ }1 j9 Z
      Finally, the firm unjustifiably relies on the studies that correlate coffee and cola
5 i( |7 R9 M0 d/ {consumption with age. The firm does not provide evidence to confirm the reliability of
$ f. y# B3 I6 Z' G" Othe studies. Moreover, while the phrase "studies suggest" may appear to lend credibility
& p, S$ \6 |( ?5 n6 nto these claims, the phrase is vague enough to actually render the claims worthless, in 2 x% l2 v& s$ c# G' ?
the absence of any information about them.2 Y3 N. ?# u8 j+ V4 q  a
      In conclusion, the firm should not transfer investments from Cola Loca to Early 2 {, @1 I7 J9 E& t- y
Bird Coffee on the basis of this argument. To better evaluate the recommendation, we 9 ?4 I* x8 C: b* A9 O( ^4 q
would need more information about the study upon which it relies. We would also need ! M" F8 O$ g0 O+ H7 D5 W
more detailed projections of population trends during the next 20 years.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 22:52 , Processed in 0.337830 second(s), 21 queries .