立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 78|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文六一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
29.        This speaker argues that farmers who invested in organic farming equipment 2 W" r8 ?& e, S% I$ {8 L
should resume synthetic farming because it is financially unwise to continue organic
& d' W2 q3 p& l; k7 wfarming. The speaker cites studies showing that farmers who switched to organic
/ T# u' T! v/ L& G1 {8 G2 ffarming last year had tower crop yields. Based on these studies, the speaker concludes
& c8 w2 [( h! D( \& ]1 {% N% ethat the relatively inexpensive investment in organic farming equipment cannot justify 0 ]; T' z3 m# K9 r9 N
continuing to farm organically. The speaker also claims that continuing to farm & x0 u+ D: o( I, k6 P' f
organically is financially unwise because it is motivated by environmental, not
& `3 f6 C, b3 ~1 Ceconomic, concerns. The argument suffers from three problems.
) }( a3 n# i) A2 G, m5 v  B8 g4 R      One problem with this reasoning involves the vague comparative claim that 9 q5 j2 ?9 ?4 }; Z* W
farmers who switched to organic farming fast year had lower crop yields. We are not
5 F+ _% U1 `! O* _5 Z# \/ Rinformed whether the survey compared last year's organic crop yields with yields from
: A8 u1 n. \2 s' [, e( Zprevious years or with those from synthetic farms. Moreover, the author provides no 1 c+ C  ~( z- Y
evidence about how the survey was conducted. Lacking more information about the
6 C2 ?* a  P6 `; `survey, we cannot accept the speaker's conclusion.- Q% F. W6 N$ B7 S
      Secondly, the speaker assumes that the low crop yields for first-time organic
; G+ a' E: w4 ufarmers last year are representative of crop yields for organic farmers overall. However,
  I' z0 B! [+ Xmore experienced organic farmers might have had much better crop yields last year. 8 A1 k( ]+ T# U- l& _1 o2 z
Also, the first-time organic farmers might improve their own crop yields in future years.
% S* B% A( O0 ^; d0 ?, E, z& M7 sMoreover, last year's yield may have been unusually low due to poor weather or other % Q& u  A4 m9 G& `& c8 S$ X2 o, b
factors, and thus not indicative of future yields.; A" `5 Y- y: _3 S7 x1 i2 j) E- Q
      Finally, in asserting that organic farming is financially unwise because it is ! [5 s8 Z" F2 Y: @7 c2 k# B
motivated by environmental instead of economic concerns, the speaker unfairly assumes
6 d  L' \! l5 E' e7 h, h5 U0 Jthat a practice cannot be both environmentally and economically beneficial. It is
3 J- C! A4 n( n7 d6 E) i: O2 rpossible that, in the long run, practices that help protect the environment will also result
9 C2 |  V# M" N1 sin greater economic benefits. For instance, organic farming methods may better protect % h2 Z4 X- N$ [  Y# K. Z, K
soil from depletion of the elements that contribute to healthy crops, providing an ; ^0 }$ [8 q# {: s$ H; c( w
economic benefit in the long run./ x0 A( W3 r7 v% x2 N
      In conclusion, the speaker's argument is poorly supported and is short-sighted. To 2 W2 G, y& l/ e+ X0 F7 w
better evaluate the argument, we would need more information about the how the . L+ x5 S, y! o* X- t8 K: P
survey was conducted, especially about the comparison the survey makes. To strengthen : ^- B  P% [3 U* Y
the argument, the speaker must present evidence that last years' crop yields from first-2 p: E/ q; U$ g0 I, M+ Y) A6 J
time organic farmers are representative of yields among organic farms in general. The
" }0 ~) U1 `: ?: H9 B# S" `4 v+ zauthor must also provide evidence that environmentally sound practices cannot be ; t$ V  S. y) o# r5 B# G) r
economically beneficial as well.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 11:50 , Processed in 0.300546 second(s), 21 queries .