立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 96|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文六五

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
25.        The author concludes that City L has good schools, affordable housing, friendly
& [8 f4 E1 F$ m3 B5 R2 J& Fpeople, flourishing arts and a safe environment. To support this claim the author cites an
$ e" L- i: F& G6 G$ P0 u6 Kannual survey that ranks cities according to quality of life. Two years ago City L was & U8 W( ~& c" P# R% t1 A
listed 14th in this survey. As it stands this argument is unconvincing.& a* l& c) T& t
      First, the author fails to indicate what individual characteristics of cities were used
1 K0 {, L1 ~: i5 n/ ?; U) B+ S$ aas criteria for the ranking. To the extent that the criteria used in the survey were the
. d& n6 M6 Y1 Ssame as the features listed by the author in the conclusion, the conclusion would b
2 C$ c# X. M! w: Jwarranted. On the other hand, if the survey employed entirely different criteria—for % Q7 Y7 A9 x/ G# r
example, outdoor recreational opportunities or educational achievement levels of adult $ Q2 _( q3 L% n" z# j' s# U
residents—then the author's conclusion would be wholly unwarranted.
9 m6 W5 K" u8 c* n% K3 @% j" G      Secondly, the author provides no indication of how each characteristic was 6 C' H3 J; n. ?% @6 E' N9 ]. L$ n
weighted in the ranking. For example, City L may have far and away the most
6 A! V( I9 D+ C, }, Gflourishing arts scene among the cities surveyed, but it may have poor schools, % z' m/ Y% C0 X- f( h
unfriendly people, and an unsafe environment. The extent to which the survey
+ C: X1 S& @4 l, m8 A# Eaccurately reflects City L's overall quality of life in this case would depend largely on 7 X  X+ K4 y  [& {6 J
the relative weight placed on the arts as a factor affecting quality of life.
( H* i7 p; P% h% ~1 C* D2 y6 o      Thirdly, the author fails to indicate how many cities were included in the survey. % `6 b. D2 `: L: \
Th more cities included in the survey, the stronger the argument—and vice versa. For   n5 Q1 S0 A0 s: U7 s4 s0 P5 X
example, if 2,000 cities were surveyed, then City L would rank in the top one percent in 8 g' N  |  v9 O7 S; `. V+ A; i
terms of quality of life. On the other hand, if only 14 cities were surveyed then City L
' l5 G5 c0 {. ~) B7 Hwould rank last.. D% O7 ?, p& s' Y: |7 Z! B
      Finally, the author's conclusion depends on the questionable assumption that the
1 N* R( ?7 q( m; _$ O  p: w4 K! c& Dconditions listed by the author have remained unchanged in City L since the survey was
5 u' l* r' \; _0 d- B3 Z- o$ k2 C" kconducted two years ago. Admittedly, had ten years elapsed the argument would be 1 r/ q2 }/ S( }+ N6 c) G! O* g
even weaker. Yet two years is sufficient time for a significant change in the overall
* u" ?4 f! }' S/ {economy, the city's fiscal policies, its financial condition, or its political climate. Any of # f9 u$ j. Q# c1 }$ n+ p
these factors can affect the quality of schools, the extent to which art is flourishing, or
/ C" X0 y1 M3 U$ M9 Gthe cost of housing.
4 R( z9 Q4 `+ J& s: [6 z      In conclusion, the author does not adequately support the conclusion. To
5 m  ^# M: V# P8 w) g$ m( f0 x2 ]strengthen the argument, the author must show that the criteria used in the survey were 8 z# p; }9 k5 Z& I/ J
the same as the features listed in the conclusion and were weighted in a way that does 4 ]' E. P- K$ W" O: I7 m
not distort the picture in City L. To better assess the argument, we would also need more 0 f- K0 U; V9 V- \% c( f! H
information about the cities included in the survey, as well as what changes in City L
: w4 y. |, u( F  d3 e5 j" Khave occurred during the past two years.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 14:03 , Processed in 0.321565 second(s), 21 queries .