立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 191|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文三九

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
31.        In this argument a consulting firm recommends the transfer of investments from
  ]* }" x% |! p8 k) `* a, W+ GCola Loca to Early Bird Coffee because, during the next 20 years, coffee demand will
; ]5 f$ x! [1 u1 m1 d, e+ Xincrease while cola demand will decrease. This prediction is based on the expectation - Q1 \, f1 p$ d
that the number of older adults will significantly increase over the next 20 years,
- ?9 s1 M) C& f+ a6 }" {together with statistics, reportedly stable for the past 40 years, indicating that coffee
+ p, I! A% f. m9 g7 o9 wconsumption increases with age while cola consumption declines with increasing age. 0 B& o0 j7 P4 h
For three reasons, this financial advice may not be sound.  E9 c) c9 w6 ]. T5 i7 X
      First, the argument assumes that relative supply conditions will remain unchanged
: y! _8 V' f$ S' Sover the next twenty years. However, the supply and cost of cola and coffee beans, as 7 j# P( p4 y7 @' m
well as other costs of doing business as a producer of coffee or cola, may fluctuate
  c- J% D: d9 s* i' b6 \( Z# Xgreatly over a long time period. These factors may affect comparative prices of coffee
; X1 S3 n. W: j' W8 land cola, which in turn may affect comparative demand and the value of investments in
, l$ t7 n* F, P& P% k2 `coffee and cola companies. Without considering other factors that contribute to the
( g' l3 w1 b% ?+ O4 \. E3 b3 `value of a coffee or cola company, the firm cannot justify its recommendation.# h4 h) @# z1 \; m: e; _5 ?% A
      Secondly, the argument fails to account for the timing of the increase in coffee 5 n) s. H2 z8 [  u; G3 w; Z/ q8 a
consumption. Perhaps the population will age dramatically during the next five years,
& C4 r: s0 U) F. Mthen remain relatively flat over the following 15 years. Or perhaps most of the increase
. z4 S+ ~8 U, p' Nin average age will occur toward the end of the 20-year period. An investor has more , L2 `9 _- ^6 M4 H
opportunity to profit over the short and long term in the first scenario than in the second,
' R- l0 r" Z& ?; w3 ]* [) ^5 sassuming the investor can switch investments along the way. If the second scenario 5 b' ?0 g. B! m6 F
reflects the facts, the firm's recommendation would be ill-founded.( x4 b" E% \1 z% P( G
      Finally, the firm unjustifiably relies on the studies that correlate coffee and cola
. A3 ]! @. g- |0 }& [) Zconsumption with age. The firm does not provide evidence to confirm the reliability of : k$ z( G* S) E2 e8 k, g
the studies. Moreover, while the phrase "studies suggest" may appear to lend credibility
7 ~9 G  X, q$ H6 P8 x" Rto these claims, the phrase is vague enough to actually render the claims worthless, in 3 z' Z8 i9 |% N& P/ f. T; X
the absence of any information about them.
& W+ E% H/ j$ s4 \1 r/ i6 _( S      In conclusion, the firm should not transfer investments from Cola Loca to Early
3 Y" `: T( B6 j, ^  yBird Coffee on the basis of this argument. To better evaluate the recommendation, we
3 p. j  V+ J/ z+ v# r  z$ L2 M% v% Jwould need more information about the study upon which it relies. We would also need & |, N+ r. C/ F: b/ d
more detailed projections of population trends during the next 20 years.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 15:23 , Processed in 0.169366 second(s), 21 queries .