立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 98|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文四三

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
27.        Based upon a correlation between increases in movie violence and crime rates in 6 I2 V, D) C' w& M* _3 I) [$ B
cities, the author argues that to combat crime in cities we must either censor movies that
4 s3 P/ Z) p, {% Wcontain violence or prohibit people who are under 21 years of age from viewing them. ) X: V2 y# ?8 Z: s* R( F
The author further argues that because legislators failed to pass a bill calling for these - z9 I9 Z, D) U' j
alternatives, they are not concerned with the problem of crime in our cities. The author's 2 L; c/ o* \) w6 H; v6 Q9 l
reasoning is unconvincing, since it suffers from two critical problems.) ]4 X8 u0 r6 a1 W8 Z6 Y3 e9 y
      To begin with, the author's solution to the problem rests on the claim that 3 h( A/ w7 n% C/ b
portrayals of violence in movies are the cause of crime in the cities. However, the
: D! s+ T0 z  G. I% s; L; Fevidence offered is insufficient to support this claim. A mere positive correlation
: z8 U. V# V2 L/ Z! g  R, Ibetween movie violence and city crime rates does not necessarily prove a causal
1 z) o9 e) {, Krelationship, in addition, all other prospective causes of city crime such as poverty or ; z5 y* K7 W& ]- q$ N  z) H
unemployment must be ruled out. As it stands, the author's solution to the problem is ; P1 ~- r2 R; K( ]0 T/ e3 Q8 w
based upon an oversimplified analysis of the issue.
: [0 p' t+ K- d# |0 S4 u7 |$ Q$ p      Another problem with the argument is that the author's solution assumes that only 6 T  w4 h( S/ i, \/ c8 n$ ~
persons under 21 years of age are adversely affected by movie violence. Ultimately, this
- U" u7 z/ J7 x6 ^  tmeans that the author is committed to the view that, for the most part, the perpetrators . @- d; I5 w2 T$ y4 b8 U
of crime in cities are juveniles under 21. Lacking evidence to support this view, the 3 I1 M: b- L1 m
author's solution cannot be taken seriously.
0 ]/ z0 I# O2 ^      In conclusion, the best explanation of the failure of the bill calling for the actions
: i2 o) \- h1 K" B8 D9 ]proposed in this argument is that most legislators were capable of recognizing the . j# y6 B- b( I: ^/ V; k" H
simplistic analysis of the problem upon which these actions are based. Rather than
4 w! n5 O1 M/ S. b6 i) R$ S1 e- q0 G( tproviding a demonstration of a lack of concern about this issue, the legislators' votes 7 |; }) X  |$ ^; Y/ s1 e) F9 k" W" z
reveal an understanding of the complexities of this problem and an unwillingness to $ p/ A5 Q3 A) ?# ^
accept simple solutions.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 13:38 , Processed in 0.161165 second(s), 21 queries .