立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 111|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文四五

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
25.        The author concludes that City L has good schools, affordable housing, friendly
8 \5 j6 q! Q2 q% E& Xpeople, flourishing arts and a safe environment. To support this claim the author cites an
0 W; j3 `/ i  ~annual survey that ranks cities according to quality of life. Two years ago City L was 1 M. P, \" S7 }$ Y. u2 z& W1 Q
listed 14th in this survey. As it stands this argument is unconvincing.
7 @- e( R7 R5 W1 M! B# C5 ^( B$ P      First, the author fails to indicate what individual characteristics of cities were used
% `1 ]  b& }. G1 l, xas criteria for the ranking. To the extent that the criteria used in the survey were the ' |- ]3 ^5 d' l& x$ A7 `5 C8 [% c
same as the features listed by the author in the conclusion, the conclusion would b
+ D; L/ [  F  L; K, Z% k! n! w3 cwarranted. On the other hand, if the survey employed entirely different criteria—for " G! Q# _. P# Z
example, outdoor recreational opportunities or educational achievement levels of adult
  t2 T+ L3 d5 [residents—then the author's conclusion would be wholly unwarranted.
8 V. O$ ^" ]* P' R6 _7 y! B      Secondly, the author provides no indication of how each characteristic was 0 n( ]8 M/ }5 U0 n3 J& L
weighted in the ranking. For example, City L may have far and away the most
/ g4 u3 ~; T! m# H( ^% |9 ]" K# oflourishing arts scene among the cities surveyed, but it may have poor schools, ! t6 [( p. M0 u% j+ f5 `- M
unfriendly people, and an unsafe environment. The extent to which the survey
$ Y6 Z# i, [/ oaccurately reflects City L's overall quality of life in this case would depend largely on
2 S& L' g' v1 s' b& a% J( Y. s4 Ythe relative weight placed on the arts as a factor affecting quality of life.
& O( G7 T9 y# H) |% B4 I      Thirdly, the author fails to indicate how many cities were included in the survey. ! F7 F4 Z* N8 W& d
Th more cities included in the survey, the stronger the argument—and vice versa. For ' g0 Z6 ~, P: ~
example, if 2,000 cities were surveyed, then City L would rank in the top one percent in
2 f4 E7 V# s/ E$ Eterms of quality of life. On the other hand, if only 14 cities were surveyed then City L
- Z! U* z$ Z9 J2 U; jwould rank last.
& h# R7 Z' o" t- h3 ~      Finally, the author's conclusion depends on the questionable assumption that the ) l; l6 p" f4 o- u6 E% ?
conditions listed by the author have remained unchanged in City L since the survey was $ X* I) r4 s9 n8 I# M' R0 T
conducted two years ago. Admittedly, had ten years elapsed the argument would be $ T& O7 ?6 i1 a& E9 r4 J5 K5 ], C
even weaker. Yet two years is sufficient time for a significant change in the overall - m0 ~4 U( g+ L& f
economy, the city's fiscal policies, its financial condition, or its political climate. Any of , u) j6 r7 `& k0 W0 ?( u
these factors can affect the quality of schools, the extent to which art is flourishing, or 6 _# y4 b7 d) W
the cost of housing.2 l4 B% d( p9 v, z$ ]% a' s( c
      In conclusion, the author does not adequately support the conclusion. To
: P7 V& @( }" e) }, \& |! G& `strengthen the argument, the author must show that the criteria used in the survey were 1 q- Q! j1 X$ ?3 u
the same as the features listed in the conclusion and were weighted in a way that does
# S4 {) r; B  O: p# inot distort the picture in City L. To better assess the argument, we would also need more ' A  Q" a+ b  t0 i/ W
information about the cities included in the survey, as well as what changes in City L
4 M9 D  \, L  o- q% ^  G9 J. J1 Ghave occurred during the past two years.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 20:25 , Processed in 0.182202 second(s), 21 queries .