立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 97|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文四七

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
23. This speaker draws the conclusion that there is no need to substantially increase
. N6 M4 v  W. D! vfunding for Einstein High School. To support this conclusion, the speaker claims that 0 k# B: S3 m1 Y
Einstein has improved its educational efficiency over the past 20 years, even though $ \( \9 X7 x' g  ^& k0 z
funding level s have remained relatively constant. His evidence is that two-thirds of   i. s4 ~, T" Q' u) ^$ U1 ~  f
Einstein's graduates now go on to college, whereas 20 years ago only half of its students
3 A; x: l- n7 D& e. r& p, ydid so. This argument suffers from several critical problems./ j, ]3 E4 t1 j; t/ R8 a$ R$ Y; ~
      To begin with, we must establish the meaning of the vague concept "educational $ Z% T% s! Y. C, h$ e1 v! W1 E
efficiency." If the term is synonymous with the rate of graduation to college, then the
& D) R: d8 N/ N4 V5 {- Xstatistics cited would strongly support the argument. But, normally we are interested in
0 w. N( W' J  f) L* X1 ~something more than just the numbers of students who go on to college from a high
% n! W% w8 o2 [/ r' Vschool; we also want to know how well the school has prepared students for a
, n2 R' T3 |; ]successful college experience—that is, whether the school has provided a good  7 `& ^! O% z/ F% b
secondary education. Thus, for the speaker the term "educational efficiency" must
5 l* ]! |. z% L% \+ zessentially carry the same meaning as "educational quality."% R; G" j' ~2 e, ?
      Given this clarification, one of the speaker's assumptions is that the rate of
9 {- z5 ?: E5 _5 @, j& w# [graduation to college has increased because Einstein is doing a better job of educating
# Z$ y4 m- T8 m8 s0 @( u% Zits students. However, the fact that more Einstein graduates now go on to college might ' j( ^. }# c6 @: o) |
simply reflect a general trend. And the general trend might have less to do with
# Y9 R3 t5 U9 O! n/ limproved secondary education than with the reality that a college degree is now the , U2 C# T1 u2 X8 |/ g
standard of entry into most desirable jobs.5 R$ y7 q' J1 P; ^' H3 V& |$ l
      But even if the quality of education at Einstein had improved, would this be a 0 n2 A$ q7 o9 z
compelling reason to deny Einstein additional funding? I don't think so. It is possible ! K; e' R( ?- m8 m: `9 f
that the school has managed to deliver better education in spite of meager funding.
1 F& K; ]. o* {4 x+ [7 QTeachers may be dipping into their own pockets for supplies and other resources
% J4 A1 N5 M' Knecessary for doing their job well. Perhaps the quality of education at Einstein would " e2 s0 ^9 p5 M- p; t+ |
improve even more with additional financial support.; I) a) O+ l7 [7 q+ u. p! G
      In sum, this argument does not establish the conclusion that additional funding for 1 W- V$ [0 ]9 K/ X+ h
Einstein is unnecessary. To do so, the speaker would have to provide evidence that the
/ G" w3 i. x& P5 equality of education at Einstein has improved. This could be done by examining student , ~5 `; a. W( D9 O: Z4 Z
assessment scores or by tracking students through their college careers to see how many
4 `# `% b7 y0 P9 J4 x" X& @+ x! {successfully graduate and find jobs. In addition, the speaker would also have to show + c) `5 m- G  P; h3 r0 I
that Einstein is doing a good job with adequate financial support, and not merely in
1 n) f. j: B" {& e8 Rspite of insufficient funding.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 17:13 , Processed in 0.263211 second(s), 21 queries .