立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 113|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文六一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
29.        This speaker argues that farmers who invested in organic farming equipment
# U! i8 g5 K, T( M8 ]should resume synthetic farming because it is financially unwise to continue organic ( e5 ^# Q1 W6 [
farming. The speaker cites studies showing that farmers who switched to organic
0 W+ c  f0 B+ }) g  Rfarming last year had tower crop yields. Based on these studies, the speaker concludes ' y8 @5 Z( y  P
that the relatively inexpensive investment in organic farming equipment cannot justify 8 M# @" V4 E" V% q0 f- f
continuing to farm organically. The speaker also claims that continuing to farm
5 [) `# Q# v) j2 Q+ Torganically is financially unwise because it is motivated by environmental, not 6 b/ ~3 ]2 [2 E4 N% {
economic, concerns. The argument suffers from three problems.
* }# w7 P) \% l8 N. }! R/ D      One problem with this reasoning involves the vague comparative claim that
8 N* I' r6 @. w% W& b& \1 L3 \farmers who switched to organic farming fast year had lower crop yields. We are not ) i# Y& X6 p5 _" I6 O* B
informed whether the survey compared last year's organic crop yields with yields from
( z) l8 I, N5 v9 `. `3 O+ _previous years or with those from synthetic farms. Moreover, the author provides no
" {5 K+ X" X$ a! a$ _/ d% A/ pevidence about how the survey was conducted. Lacking more information about the 0 [4 z2 J/ ?7 H/ r% E# d
survey, we cannot accept the speaker's conclusion.
; R9 b$ u! M; ^; T) G2 y1 m; \: }      Secondly, the speaker assumes that the low crop yields for first-time organic
3 X$ S! N" ?! p1 E3 T( o( Q+ [, I! ufarmers last year are representative of crop yields for organic farmers overall. However, & K5 v- M& I' T0 W
more experienced organic farmers might have had much better crop yields last year.
" I( {. z7 H" SAlso, the first-time organic farmers might improve their own crop yields in future years.
% t2 r4 s7 q* J9 p, ^Moreover, last year's yield may have been unusually low due to poor weather or other
" q% B: p# Q! m/ a; Wfactors, and thus not indicative of future yields.
: x% k1 q; b$ c* N) E2 ]      Finally, in asserting that organic farming is financially unwise because it is
) p5 G6 E( k% m/ [! s3 G# Bmotivated by environmental instead of economic concerns, the speaker unfairly assumes ( S8 H$ `6 m( w2 x# ]4 p" t' K
that a practice cannot be both environmentally and economically beneficial. It is
" k, ^4 g1 S6 s  Ypossible that, in the long run, practices that help protect the environment will also result , I0 g5 z0 [- l; {' b" ^
in greater economic benefits. For instance, organic farming methods may better protect
. F/ ]! A+ Y# _0 i2 Gsoil from depletion of the elements that contribute to healthy crops, providing an
0 x, |8 ]2 X8 Eeconomic benefit in the long run.  a% u# g* [3 {$ Z
      In conclusion, the speaker's argument is poorly supported and is short-sighted. To 9 V* |& P' V+ c0 }( q
better evaluate the argument, we would need more information about the how the   P3 V3 k' g$ u# W! y- O
survey was conducted, especially about the comparison the survey makes. To strengthen
! ^+ m. x2 [% d+ Xthe argument, the speaker must present evidence that last years' crop yields from first-
& U( @* P) \* Ktime organic farmers are representative of yields among organic farms in general. The
# x: s9 x3 y% C+ n( gauthor must also provide evidence that environmentally sound practices cannot be # o: A- f  y" Y4 e# q. z. B
economically beneficial as well.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-3 18:01 , Processed in 0.222821 second(s), 21 queries .