立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 200|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文六十

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
30.        In this argument prudent investors are advised to stop investing in hotels and
- I# a4 G. M$ Finvest instead in hospitals and nursing homes. The author cites two related trends—an   \; x/ h& d: K; m8 T1 S7 E6 U, C
aging population and a decline in hotel occupancy—as grounds for this advice. To
7 w' L6 T8 J0 F! t; Tillustrate these trends, the author refers to another region of the country, where 20 + X9 {0 n9 j! I5 Q: \  N& m
percent of the population is over 65 years old and where occupancy rates in resort hotels ! ~# ]5 i! a8 n9 U# f
have declined significantly during the past six months. This argument is unconvincing
5 ]2 C2 o: ^( ~! @" j* o5 Rin a couple of important respects.
; n5 x/ y- k3 U8 j% i- ~      In the first place, the author provides no evidence to support the claim that the : S9 s# p" H% A( N
population as a whole is aging and that the hotel occupancy rate in general is declining. ! I& B# _; v$ o5 s+ y% S9 y
The example cited, while suggestive of these trends, is insufficient to warrant their truth . w$ Q) f' I  Y' M/ q) |. q! [% ~
because there is no reason to believe that data drawn from this unnamed region is ' I0 _" p. x: I* V% r
representative of the entire country. For example, if the region from which the data was 9 O* h+ }/ y' `: p" y+ z2 b! O  u" F
gathered was Florida, it would clearly be unrepresentative. The reason for this is * c# i9 g! E5 Y* X9 z) `2 p
obvious. Florida is populated by a disproportionate number of retired people over 65 ) V, z( i/ t* v; c0 I$ J
years old and is a very popular vacation destination during the winter months. Moreover, ( a: ~9 Y8 F& F
resort hotel occupancy in Florida typically declines significantly during the summer $ ^9 e/ i, \: w9 {
months.
6 n2 x* C+ }0 N1 j) u. l8 u      In the second place, the author has provided no evidence to support the claim that 2 l8 O; D6 u; D4 O0 s
the decline in hotel occupancy is related to the aging of the population. The author 8 H+ T/ l# e: V- o  E3 D
appears to believe that the decrease in occupancy rates at resort hotels is somehow ) Z! z0 _* [/ H, g1 B$ y
caused by the increase in the number of people over age 65. However, the example cited $ q5 z6 T; L) T* A: ~
by the author establishes only that these two trends are correlated; it does not establish
0 k" C, Y7 I/ x5 y7 n, c8 bthat the decline in hotel occupancy is due to an increase in the number of people over
; {8 q9 x0 i& ^+ J# t$ _the age of 65.8 D& }9 a0 m' k4 Z% s! T- `3 R$ e
      In conclusion, the author's investment advice is not based on sound reasoning. To
, b1 V( M4 E+ O4 c1 S) s. W" Wstrengthen the conclusion, the author must show that the trends were not restricted to a
  A( h7 |8 @0 Q+ ~# A  i0 F9 Rparticular region of the country. The author must also show that the cause of the decline ' v$ P6 Q2 u1 u( a" G; v- R% K
in hotel occupancy is the increase in the number of people over 65.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 09:12 , Processed in 0.195529 second(s), 21 queries .