立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 139|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文六七

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
23. This speaker draws the conclusion that there is no need to substantially increase ( M) }* O  ^0 R& x& a
funding for Einstein High School. To support this conclusion, the speaker claims that
2 n' q& m: [0 Y* e; n2 [- w7 q; ~7 OEinstein has improved its educational efficiency over the past 20 years, even though
- ~: s) s- ]$ L: J* {/ Q0 Afunding level s have remained relatively constant. His evidence is that two-thirds of
8 U. n5 F0 l+ JEinstein's graduates now go on to college, whereas 20 years ago only half of its students . {/ @& F4 w8 G. y; T
did so. This argument suffers from several critical problems., Y, E+ h( O: F" M
      To begin with, we must establish the meaning of the vague concept "educational ) d* p# H+ M8 I- G+ Q$ b0 e$ d
efficiency." If the term is synonymous with the rate of graduation to college, then the : H0 ^* p9 `8 y/ y
statistics cited would strongly support the argument. But, normally we are interested in 3 b. p/ n! ]4 s5 i# u- r* j$ Q3 Y
something more than just the numbers of students who go on to college from a high 2 s0 A# F1 e5 x) R" u# m- `6 C
school; we also want to know how well the school has prepared students for a 9 z% H) u; f' n% i" Y
successful college experience—that is, whether the school has provided a good  " T2 \9 C' i3 B& ]& I8 y1 c
secondary education. Thus, for the speaker the term "educational efficiency" must
  ?9 N  j3 G* @! M. W4 fessentially carry the same meaning as "educational quality."
1 k9 C6 F$ w1 [8 s( S5 F      Given this clarification, one of the speaker's assumptions is that the rate of
- O0 M0 m& X& r0 ]9 Ggraduation to college has increased because Einstein is doing a better job of educating 4 G2 x5 n4 `% I* F2 E
its students. However, the fact that more Einstein graduates now go on to college might
7 K" G8 b) T( ~3 vsimply reflect a general trend. And the general trend might have less to do with 0 H: D* M  d5 y
improved secondary education than with the reality that a college degree is now the $ Q2 ?  r" l% c* L1 e: h
standard of entry into most desirable jobs.: i, W' q* k" f. B. g6 t& n
      But even if the quality of education at Einstein had improved, would this be a ) s8 d. f+ _. T2 t) z/ g$ ^" A
compelling reason to deny Einstein additional funding? I don't think so. It is possible , [* d! E; {# n( m3 r+ G9 G5 i, h' ^
that the school has managed to deliver better education in spite of meager funding. / A/ z' J+ R+ z, v" i& B
Teachers may be dipping into their own pockets for supplies and other resources 3 K: S* b  ^( m# D! i- M
necessary for doing their job well. Perhaps the quality of education at Einstein would 2 j! ^0 \/ \; _0 m  K( N1 g
improve even more with additional financial support.
; t% B/ {- O: n3 h6 Z% h9 W% k  }      In sum, this argument does not establish the conclusion that additional funding for 8 Y0 G7 a( u. g% \
Einstein is unnecessary. To do so, the speaker would have to provide evidence that the
( H( n/ k( [. J2 {quality of education at Einstein has improved. This could be done by examining student ' M5 Z' [5 B1 I6 k
assessment scores or by tracking students through their college careers to see how many
; t. O$ K" v2 u0 ?6 Psuccessfully graduate and find jobs. In addition, the speaker would also have to show 0 m: t1 G& l& s
that Einstein is doing a good job with adequate financial support, and not merely in 6 X" e7 M6 R0 T. Q0 c7 l
spite of insufficient funding.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 09:18 , Processed in 0.270513 second(s), 21 queries .