立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 134|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文六九

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
21.        The conclusion of this editorial is that the government should lower property taxes # P: J* t/ J9 P
for railroad companies. The first reason given is that railroads spend billions per year
8 o/ H" N) @/ P+ J' t4 X7 _maintaining and upgrading their facilities. The second reason is that shipping goods by 2 q/ I* d5 o+ G  ]. k
rail is cost-effective and environmentally sound. This argument is unconvincing for
: z! n8 K9 T6 [1 |several reasons.7 H" x0 {! b9 o3 M+ J/ \% G
      First of alt, the argument depends upon a misleading comparison between railroad " K' L- D8 ]' O0 s; w
and truck company expenditures. Although trucking companies do not pay property tax $ ]) ^3 Q; ^3 q; Z: Z4 P. W4 G
on roads they use, they do pay such taxes on the yards, warehouses and maintenance % u$ R: x# S( e, I- f! v4 u2 p
facilities they own. And while trucking companies pay only a portion of road
3 Q0 ~+ a' w; m8 Gmaintenance costs, this is because they are not sole users of public roads. Railroad
1 _' _0 f7 j8 b# G, [6 E2 ecompanies shoulder the entire burden of maintenance and taxes on their own facilities
! r+ Y' u8 I! \4 Nand tracks; but they distribute these costs to other users through usage fees.
5 d4 b7 e* R) H" W      In addition, the author assumes that property taxes should be structured to provide 7 e- F; W5 J3 V% Z
incentives for cost-effective and environmentally beneficial business practices. This
3 F' d/ [0 O6 `3 A5 v( massumption is questionable because property taxes are normally structured to reflect the ' q& w5 s* {2 s$ r
value of property. Moreover, the author seems to think that cost-effectiveness and
$ w6 K5 I8 i' [; U! Qenvironmental soundness are equally relevant to the question of tax relief. However,
0 ?' Z* |" T$ mthese are separate considerations. The environmental soundness of a practice might be
2 t4 Z9 Z9 v* I" x+ j0 W1 brelevant in determining tax structuring, but society does not compensate a business for
# d+ v; d7 e: X% z' |; F" Yits cost-efficiency.
, O; D. V$ _& I# X9 @+ \1 j      Splitting the issues of cost-efficiency and environmental impact highlights an 4 e5 ]5 q) L% p, u% x
ambiguity in the claim that railway shipping is more appropriate. On the one hand, it 8 o2 t/ n! K% l( W7 a% y
may be appropriate, or prudent, for me to ship furniture by rail because it is cost-
4 a% X6 I+ q/ v3 R7 i( U4 z, S1 Yeffective; on the other hand, it might be appropriate, or socially correct, to encourage
" ~0 m$ w  i6 x  P5 M8 E2 z- Umore railway shipping because it is environmentally sound. The argument thus trades - }& ?( c2 `2 [5 j% m4 C
on an equivocation between social correctness on the one hand, and personal or business
- v5 E& q) d! G6 @! j' a$ @prudence on the other.
) h. ~: Q' Y+ W* {2 A      In sum, this argument is a confusion of weak comparisons, mixed issues and
2 S2 k& C# w1 _) k; K. ^5 Vequivocal claims. I would not accept the conclusion without first determining: (1) the
6 |$ v( k; h0 z8 |3 Zfactors relevant to tax structure, (2) whether specific tax benefits should accrue to
1 h9 C- y" _3 N  b) e; g6 ^9 vproperty as well as to income and capital gains taxes, (3) whether railway shipping  
# I1 H  a- ^9 m, {6 i. L1 ureally does provide greater social benefits, and (4) whether it is correct to motivate more
0 }( b3 `. R- ?+ orailway shipping on this basis.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 05:27 , Processed in 0.399098 second(s), 21 queries .