立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 143|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文二二

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
82.        In this editorial the author asserts that opinion polls are little better than random ! p4 L- A! f3 A0 y
guesses to predicting outcomes of presidential elections. The author's basis for this
4 H1 B: {, `8 {* t) m) h" z4 E! V8 ^assertion is that opinion polls measure only the preferences of voters at the time of the
2 s9 Z5 u9 f/ o0 gpoll and that many voters change their preferences several time before voting—some ' ?, L5 M% T" k" M
remaining undecided until the moment they cast their vote. The author's reasoning is ' ~5 C7 @) G  j4 l4 W+ L( Y
unconvincing in two critical respects.
  E& M* V& J0 P# O8 M1 q% c      First of alt the predictions based on random guessing are such that the greater the
4 Y- I8 V% Z5 Z% _5 fnumber of candidates, the less likely the prediction will be correct. The reason for this is & X$ S3 Q) M# {
obvious: random guessing requires that no outside information be allowed to influence
: U8 J% W* E7 V2 `; D4 u: U5 qthe guess. Predictions based on opinion polls, on the other hand, will differ considerably
8 N8 t! q; g9 A2 g% Ifrom those based on random guesses simply because outside information will influence
' O' z4 z/ i$ ythe result. For example, in a four-person race, random guessing would yield the correct
8 X, F7 R& N  e6 @& Bprediction 25 percent of the time, whereas the percentage of correct predictions based
1 S1 g3 b; e. T# H+ v  aon opinion polls would be much higher. The reason for this disparity is simple. Opinion
/ ~( o6 Z( h+ a& r6 O" r4 apolls enable us to narrow the choices. That is, opinion polls serve to reduce the number
4 u3 o1 n& b! _! N* N6 y: _of viable candidates in the voter's mind and thereby increase the likelihood that the : B& D( [. l6 ?9 s& S
prediction based on them will be correct.+ W+ j- R0 d1 i3 J$ ]$ ]/ t
      In addition, while it is true that many voters change their minds several times 8 ]& ]! i7 U5 f& _8 U' t& p
before voting, and that some remain undecided until entering the voting booth, this is 2 p# v! v$ K6 Y: e
not true of everyone. Moreover, people who do change their minds frequently or wait
& X; b! \4 K4 b" Luntil the last moment to decide have typically narrowed their choice to a few candidates
3 G6 E1 m4 F, P* e  O; ], x6 a      In conclusion, the author is mistaken in believing that random guessing would be 6 u( @( R8 w3 Q0 L7 e- J
as reliable as opinion polls in predicting the outcomes of presidential elections.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 06:01 , Processed in 0.343688 second(s), 21 queries .