立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 146|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文二一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
81.        This company memorandum suggests that, in lieu of adopting an official code of 4 P( I2 e$ _. \+ D1 S+ v9 u
ethics, the company should conduct a publicity campaign that stresses the importance of 6 D& l$ p- q% k
promoting certain societal interests. The reason for the suggestion is that an official / @# F  e2 r4 m# N
code of ethics might harm the company in the public eye because a competing company ) U4 z8 r: [, U) {! \
received unfavorable publicity for violating its own ethics code. This argument is   p7 `. @: k/ }
unconvincing, since it depends on several unwarranted assumptions as well as arguing & F# p) s7 \" b
against its own conclusion.4 q( |" G. X/ A6 O  {3 g3 u
      First of all, the author unfairly assumes that the two companies are sufficiently 4 O+ m" {# P5 J& n" N
similar to ensure the same consequences of adopting an ethics code for this company as
1 h  ?+ ]6 N7 N8 j7 _for its competitor. The competitor may have adopted an entirely different code from the 5 U) R* v8 r, M; r: g) @" _5 |1 c
one this company might adopt—perhaps with unrealistic standards not embraced by any
3 J) j* F0 _0 d* j9 i% kother companies. Perhaps the competitor's violation was extremely egregious, 2 p. p. x7 F' i: I1 }/ x
amounting to an aberration among businesses of its type; or perhaps one notorious
* L8 X+ R5 f6 [' H+ zexecutive is solely responsible for the competitor's violation. Any of these scenarios, if 9 e! f6 x; R0 l! l
true, would show that the two companies are dissimilar in ways relevant to the + D& y/ Q$ P# G0 @& {- I0 ~* A$ z
likelihood that this company will experience similar violations and similar publicity if it
: J: W( H( u0 |$ radopts any ethics code.
. ]; |& l8 z9 Z; [; `( P      Secondly, the author unfairly assumes that the competitor was damaged by its
3 g; H# _3 a2 _4 F' |7 Ycode violation and the resulting publicity more than it would have been had it not
* j0 }3 ?0 E/ b3 ~6 `) Wviolated its code. Just as likely, however, the violation was necessary to ensure a certain
" s4 j/ ]) b. v2 R& j* klevel of profitability or to protect other important interests. Without knowing the extent
* E& g9 m' x$ C  P$ m% R1 @$ M, kand nature of the damage resulting from the bad publicity or the reason for the violation, 3 H4 |* B" q0 r) @4 C
we cannot accept the author's conclusion.
  d! m& ?- Y1 o. r3 [! }4 D      Thirdly, the author's proposal is inconsistent with the author's conclusion about 2 s  D& r& ~' e3 T  {( t: i* d
the consequences of adopting an ethics code. The author suggests that, instead of
% y+ u- Q- }0 d& iadopting an ethics code, this company should stress "the importance of protecting the
/ b8 ?) U* R( ]4 w) I, j. denvironment and assisting charitable organizations." This proposal is tantamount to
* r8 d) j5 ~) l* [! |adopting an ethics code. In this sense, the author suggests going against his own advice 6 k, H9 N5 }4 Z+ z( S
that the company should not adopt such a code.
- }! V, t" }8 |( U/ f      in conclusion, differences between this company and its competitor may
! j- S" [$ p4 P) M: ], Xundermine the author's conclusion that this company should not adopt an ethics code.
. s0 @& j. P$ y( i! STo better evaluate the argument, we need more information about the nature of the
! M' I+ {! Q# fcompetitor's ethics code and about the nature and extent of the violation. To strengthen
5 O* E5 R) o- V/ a" H- p/ Sthe argument, the author must accord his advice with his conclusion that the company
* X! C8 o# I+ D9 v' i* K) G' |should not adopt an ethics code.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 12:20 , Processed in 0.134305 second(s), 21 queries .