立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 124|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文三二

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
38.        The author of this article argues that, to reverse declining revenues from campus
7 b* w: f4 `$ G* `housing rentals, campus housing officials should decrease the number of available 4 j0 A. m6 ^7 E
housing units and reduce rent prices on the units. The author's line of reasoning is that
& q6 ]% I' v8 w: `" R7 Afewer available units will limit supply while lower rents will increase demand, thereby
$ ]6 \! K* Q4 r# X" \improving overall occupancy rates, and that the resulting increase in occupancy rates + E8 |2 m: _% W* ~0 \
will, in turn, boost revenues for the campus. This reasoning is unconvincing for several ) E% ?$ N0 O" T7 h0 X
reasons.
, b- N$ X9 }; z& O      To begin with, the author assumes that boosting occupancy rates will improve 5 c) M: f$ w0 Z, @* H9 ]# c
revenues. All other factors remaining unchanged, this would be the case. However, the
& D0 u8 i0 I4 I: m/ ]' {6 j# Wauthor proposes reducing both the supply of units and their rental prices. Both of these & y/ ^. n7 J' [5 A1 p: m1 C
actions would tend to reduce revenues. The author provides no evidence that the
  p$ O! W) s# W$ e) srevenue-enhancing effect of a higher occupancy rate will exceed the revenue-decreasing
4 |% r; k2 Q2 B4 teffect of reduced supply and price. Without such evidence, the argument is
. J; ~  ~# e' F0 wunconvincing.* {. k% S/ Z$ c& [& L1 `
      Secondly, the author assumes that lowering rents will lead to higher revenues by + p5 m: @  a6 w# A& r
increasing demand. However, it is possible that demand would decrease, depending on ' N; m" n3 D5 ?) f9 N  P
the extent of the rent reduction as well as other factors—such as overall enrollment and
, D/ I2 q- e8 gthe supply and relative cost of off-campus housing. Moreover, even if demand increases . ]% U( r+ s& H' i' e( P2 K
by lowering rents, revenues will not necessarily increase as a result. Other factors, such
' R& b# U* Q9 @) las maintenance and other costs of providing campus housing units and the reduced # a- R3 U: ~. i! t# J3 b
supply of rental units might contribute to a net decrease in revenue.
: |+ E4 `2 d# q6 }      Thirdly, in asserting that lowering rental rates will increase demand, the author
- F* \: ^: [; E* V: D" K8 Wassumes that current rental rates are causing low demand. However, low demand for
. \  q+ U* Z. y. k; Astudent housing could be a function of other factors. For instance, the student housing ( N0 j1 M) p3 r1 X) V8 A
units may be old and poorly maintained. Perhaps students find the campus housing rules # y* i+ q6 Y- L# U+ J% O" i
oppressive, and therefore prefer to live off-campus; or perhaps enrollments are down
/ z4 q/ `& P  A, o  O1 Zgenerally, affecting campus housing occupancy.4 f3 G6 n3 j& T4 u4 ?
      In conclusion, the author of this editorial has not argued effectively for a decrease
, c7 Z$ L; D  [+ {in the number of available campus housing units and a reduction in rental rates for those ) z$ E" o5 F: n- p8 c2 m, x
units. To strengthen the argument, the author must show that a rent reduction will
3 R% W4 G& Z) d0 B  kactually increase demand, and that the revenue-enhancing effect of greater demand will 9 @2 u& n6 ?+ ~+ M
outweigh the revenue-reducing effect of a smaller supply and of lower rental rates.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 14:40 , Processed in 0.131798 second(s), 21 queries .