立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 96|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文三一

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
39.        The conclusion in this Avia Airlines memorandum is that a review of the airline's
6 y' X7 T: F. e. _. jbaggage-handling procedures will not further its goal of maintaining or increasing the
' `2 z$ M4 f: a- P# D: ?% n7 Wnumber of Avia passengers. The author's line of reasoning is that the great majority of . W% P( t; v) s- e& s9 R
Avia passengers are happy with baggage handling at the airline because only one
! X; \4 t7 t5 l. ?percent of passengers who traveled on Avia last year filed a complaint about Avia's
, i3 }9 H5 x+ G4 aprocedures. This argument is problematic in two important respects.
/ z1 k& q' L; I      First, the argument turns on the assumption that the 99 percent of Avia passengers : U) p/ x. M- H5 ~$ a: b
who did not complain were happy with the airline's baggage-handling procedures.
! S! z; G! \7 b% gHowever, the author provides no evidence to support this assumption. The fact that, on % s2 j1 h" Y) p+ B0 |0 S& a
the average, 9 out of 1000 passengers took the time and effort to formally complain
6 S, x- k1 x; a9 P9 tindicates nothing about the experiences or attitudes of the remaining 991. It is possible & ]) F( P; F3 P9 N
that many passengers were displeased but too busy to formally complain, while others
1 z/ b/ `: O6 m' S" l, zhad no opinion at all. Lacking more complete information about passengers' attitudes, ; u7 n, f% a; Q+ A8 K! i6 e5 {
we cannot assume that the great majority of passengers who did not complain were 2 H& K& @, K% S
happy.
9 E" E: z8 y: n( s      Secondly, in the absence of information about the number of passengers per flight
7 j6 E4 l+ x, hand about the complaint records of competing airlines, the statistics presented in the
) m) d; D" r0 B- f5 v2 Ymemorandum might distort the seriousness of the problem. Given that most modern
/ C# A, b8 @  T  t8 uaircraft carry as many as 300 to 500 passengers, it is possible that Avia received as % o+ z5 n) t5 F9 l, ?9 y$ Z9 K
many as 4 or 5 complaints per flight. The author unfairly trivializes this record.
# A1 b+ b) \3 A# QMoreover, the author fails to compare Avia's record with those of its competitors. It is
+ u9 ]# _  J- D# |  d* d* K. ]possible that a particular competitor received virtually no baggage-handling complaints ' U+ o* g6 P7 `$ T
last year. If so, Avia's one percent complaint rate might be significant enough to 2 d* W0 t  D9 O! y# \9 d
motivate customers to switch to another airline." @. I0 w5 }5 W6 t5 ?1 Y( O
      In conclusion, the author has failed to demonstrate that a review of the baggage-
% ~6 j, I' _' o5 N2 p/ q. zhandling procedures at Avia Airlines is not needed to maintain or increase the number
8 N- X  R1 U/ x6 _* fof Avia's passengers. To strengthen the argument, the author must at the very least
+ J: x) n8 Y9 Z+ T. ]/ Y; m* Jprovide affirmative evidence that most Avia passengers last year were indeed happy
8 q0 E4 S: U9 u9 B: x6 W& T2 mwith baggage-handling procedures. To better evaluate the argument, we would need
* E6 _- m- ^( }1 m7 \0 wmore information about the numbers of Avia passengers per flight last year and about 5 X: D" n% x* I( h
the baggage-handling records of Avia's competitors.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 16:16 , Processed in 0.299102 second(s), 21 queries .