立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 99|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文三五

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
35.        The financial-planning office at Fern Valley University concludes that it is
7 E  a; j# B/ s" W8 ^, F' Mnecessary to initiate a fund-raising campaign among alumni that will enable the
6 J. J8 w0 l2 l2 b3 Funiversity to expand the range of subjects it offers and increase the size of its library
( ]/ V2 S2 l6 D% ]facilities. It: argument is based on a five-year decline in enrollments and admission
/ _; B% s( E4 \3 G) c5 ?applications together with the claim that students cite poor teaching and inadequate 8 K( }4 T; r  j) S4 i( n
library resources as their chief sources of dissatisfaction with Fern Valley. The
; R% D3 @2 n5 c4 Dconclusion of the financial-planning office is not strongly supported by the reasons 1 ^7 b! c8 ^) f6 Z+ I
given.- i8 D2 Z8 ]. g6 d
      To begin with, this argument depends on the assumption that providing a greater
5 b7 J" \+ l- R0 r4 ~range of subjects and a larger library will alleviate the students' chief sources of ' O: M3 U" d3 Z0 D9 |/ ~  d! B
dissatisfaction. However, the students have not complained about inadequate course * u5 R8 |1 c) q, T
offerings or about the size of the library; their complaint is that the existing courses are 9 n) R" A/ O/ L& e. o& \% L
poorly taught and that library resources are inadequate. Offering more kinds of classes
' l7 q8 J. Q; J' r1 Sdoes not improve teaching quality, and increasing a library's size does nothing to
6 Q0 {9 o- A# Kenhance its holdings, or resources. Accordingly, the recommendation does not bear / j9 d, k; C$ K, I# h5 q
directly on the problem as stated.- G' N0 r0 C" }3 m  ^2 V
      Secondly, the proposal unfairly assumes that the recent enrollment and application # ]2 [6 Y+ o: D0 Q; p# O& q* {
decline was caused by poor teaching and inadequate library resources. It is equally
1 O7 K' U, w: T* p5 @  apossible that all colleges, regardless of teaching quality and library resources, have % r% L: s& S) |- Y" A
experienced similar declines. These declines may have been due to unrelated factors,
! l1 a  h$ @7 @$ Isuch as unfavorable economic conditions, or an increase in high-paying computer jobs
" X- E  L: z. s$ \( H+ F" |not requiring a college education.
; R" w9 d% }/ D, v/ N& v      Thirdly, the author provides no support for the claim that students are dissatisfied . j. i; O; C2 v. k& c9 P% t
with the teaching and library resources at Fern Valley. It is possible that the claim is
% v2 q: @# n! c# gbased on hearsay or on scant anecdotal evidence. Without more information about the - h3 j9 _4 q& k
basis of the claim, we cannot be sure that the financial-planning office is addressing the / M8 @! T; \. Q$ K- \
real problems.
' t, w! ~7 B- X7 T, c2 A      In conclusion, the advice of the financial planning office is not well supported. To
' M" u, U1 G$ zstrengthen the argument, the planning office must provide evidence that students are
: _! H* b: b% \4 s! ldissatisfied with the range of subjects and with the library's size, and that this ; }  b/ z' c; ^8 j+ h
dissatisfaction is the cause of the recent decline in enrollment and the number of   F5 K1 |, I- f8 d: a1 c6 i
admission applications. To better assess the argument as it stands, we would need to
8 t- n6 }3 g# o6 g7 |3 [! `know whether the students' attitudes were measured in a reliable, scientific manner.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 11:34 , Processed in 0.210552 second(s), 21 queries .