立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 117|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文三三

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
37.        The author rejects the claim that the loud engine noise of American-made
0 N- o) \) c* F/ AMotorcycle X appeals to the manufacturer's customers and explains why they are not
! Q( P% B+ J. N" Lattracted to quieter, foreign-made imitations. The author's rejection is based on two
( v- l9 k7 [. j9 |7 ?: }reasons. First, the author points out that foreign cars tend to be quieter than similar
+ P& b% ]5 Z1 Y/ @- iAmerican-made cars, yet they sell just as well. Secondly, the author claims that ads for # A1 d0 M+ e6 f& O# n( d
Motorcycle X do not emphasize its engine noise; instead, the ads highlight its durability
% w: O* M: b* ]# l! k4 Uand sleek lines, and employ voice-overs of rock music rather than engine roar. In my ; W' i+ \2 b  W6 j) b" c
view, these reasons do not establish that the quieter engines of the foreign imitations fail
8 S" z. m+ x) A7 Zto account for their lack of appeal.3 X* d. O5 l% s$ m' f0 _$ v) x
      To begin with, the first reason rests on the assumption that what automobile ) S- H8 O5 V( }7 g2 B, D
customers find appealing is analogous to what motorcycle customers find appealing.
* K* z4 P0 R2 U0 d% L7 y# y* ~This assumption is weak, since although there are points of comparison between 0 X' V6 _( M  |0 F/ G
automobiles and motorcycles, there are many dissimilarities as well. For example,
& i) Q5 c# @7 r1 m8 ~: z) d9 |headroom, smooth ride, and quiet engines are usually desirable qualities in a car.
: R* J( b9 I7 q* [* [2 r8 ~% V; THowever, headroom is not a consideration for motorcycle customers; and many " r- U6 n, I; G( X3 k
motorcycle riders specifically want an exciting, challenging ride, not a smooth one. The 9 S; r7 j3 R* C9 e
same may be true of engine noise; it is possible that motorcyclists like what loud engine
' h$ Y5 Y5 }# t8 \' R% I- [4 Unoise adds to the experience of motorcycle riding.: a% O& p. s' j# F' k
      The author's second reason is also problematic. Although the engine noise of - y, o- ?" b3 u7 C4 X9 N! M6 w
Motorcycle X is not explicitly touted in advertisements, it does not necessarily follow
8 j# I2 ~( k  z) F& Jthat engine noise is not an important selling feature. Because Motorcycle X has been
8 ?. {/ z% A2 zmanufactured in the U.S. for over 70 years, its reputation for engine noise is probably
; U8 J7 |0 x# q, walready well known and need not be advertised. Moreover, the advertisers might use
5 ~8 v1 G* x1 ], `7 krock music on Motorcycle X ad soundtracks for the specific purpose of suggesting, or
& Q6 I- r0 [* R7 _& K: Jeven simulating, its loud engine noise.! R5 q2 M" u4 d% l
      In conclusion, this author has not provided convincing reasons for rejecting the ! ~2 G5 w  \9 U" g2 W
claim that quieter engines make foreign-made motorcycles less popular. The author's / `% S8 J7 M+ m- u0 L; h
analogy involving foreign car sales is weak, and the claim about Motorcycle X
! W1 N& Q$ t5 U3 Aadvertisements misses the purpose of including rock music in the ads.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 07:13 , Processed in 0.259317 second(s), 21 queries .