立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 120|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文三六

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
34.        In this argument the author concludes that the Easy Credit Company would gain % B; [+ i) L1 ?. k  A! x. `3 y" F: I
several advantages over its competitors by donating a portion of its profits to a well-
4 X! a6 n( S% s/ A: ]- R& z% bknown environmental organization in exchange for the use of the organization's logo on : M: L6 i! m4 p/ Z3 b' l/ n
their credit card. The author reaches this conclusion on the basis of a recent poll that 5 v6 _+ }: q! t( T3 C7 q9 M7 d9 ^
shows widespread public concern about environmental issues. Among the advantages of
" Z" z5 Y- U4 M  x, V9 S1 mthis policy, the author foresees an increase in credit card use by existing customers, the
3 {& H/ Q. f2 s% L3 {ability to charge higher interest rates, and the ability to attract new customers. While the 5 H7 d. L, P* T; e6 n
author's argument has some merit, it suffers from two critical problems.7 `' j: H- A7 V# q& K& I) G
      To begin with, the author assumes that the environmental organization whose logo
/ J# x4 Z( B5 G, i" Dis sought is concerned with the same environmental issues about which the poll shows
& I, }6 N' q, n0 M" Z+ v7 pwidespread concern. However, the author provides no evidence that this is the case. It is   b9 `9 b1 g7 L: R# q1 v
possible that very few credit-card users are concerned about the issues that are the 1 S: k* O4 {& z- R4 t4 d
organization's areas of concern; if so, then it is unlikely that the organization's logo
+ ]* [: m' b/ ~- Xwould attract much business for the Easy Credit Company.$ t7 _; w, H/ v# v
      Next, the author assumes that the public's concern about environmental issues
8 D5 W9 K3 }( e' fwill result in its taking steps to do something about the problem—in this case, to use the 4 @6 P. k0 `1 J; t) `
Easy Credit Company credit card. This assumption is unsupported and runs contrary to
$ ^# J* X$ c8 m: M2 [) d; Lexperience. Also, it is more reasonable to assume that people who are concerned about a 5 U& O3 Q! {: b0 V- Q  F& I
particular cause will choose a more direct means of expressing their concern.
) Z5 f( o5 ^( e. h      In conclusion, the author's argument is unconvincing as it stands. To strengthen : _5 X2 n& [6 |9 [! T
the argument, the author must show a positive link between the environmental issues - g: v5 c7 ~. E' I$ F
about which the public has expressed concern and the issues with which this particular 4 w2 `- g8 M4 E' C' S" M* _: N
environmental organization is concerned. In addition, the author must provide evidence
) Q! F0 o7 u! Q. k* O0 c* ito support the assumption that concern about a problem will cause people to do
- g0 |# w& a  h# ]something about the problem.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 11:37 , Processed in 0.210835 second(s), 21 queries .