立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 127|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文三

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
61.        A director of Beta Company suggests that Beta can improve its competitive + I4 K% m; L3 P' B" V
position by hiring a significant number of former Alpha Company employees who have / ?! a5 j* g% a# u( x* u$ `& i
recently retired or been laid off. The director's reasoning is that because Alpha
. j6 w* M' z: L) \7 d7 m: |" {manufactures some products similar to Beta's, former Alpha employees would be * @7 i( X8 U, a+ B. f
experienced and need little training, could provide valuable information about Alpha's
& h  R, X1 p5 K3 i' ^& s+ w$ J( E1 nsuccessful methods, and would be particularly motivated to compete against Alpha. The
( x+ {& _* E7 L+ N9 F1 `. Jdirector's argument is problematic in several respects.$ H$ Y* S; \- E& o) E3 t
      First of all, the argument presupposes that Alpha's methods are successful. This is
2 e: l! I4 s; Z0 w+ f. Rnot necessarily the case. To the contrary, the fact that Alpha has laid off 15 percent of its
0 e. ]0 s! K! ?! n* cemployees in every division and at every level suggests that Alpha's methods may have 9 e8 m& j% W5 M" u$ m2 u
been unsuccessful and that downsizing was necessary for the company to minimize
) C0 e- v% R% G; Zfinancial losses./ f& m6 h4 p+ Z1 f5 o" E
      Secondly, the director assumes that the former Alpha employees hired by Beta
9 k3 D7 G* p: Rwill be well-trained and valuable. During a typical lay-off, however, the best and most
7 i8 v+ G& h% V6 l2 Aexperienced employees are typically the last to be laid off. By following the director's
2 F0 L" x1 l# X$ I) v! oadvice, Beta would probably be hiring Alpha's least efficient and least experienced 2 w# I; F4 b" c6 i9 a& B) J
employees—that is, those who would be least valuable to Beta.4 ~* S6 G$ Z# C& Z/ P/ ~4 s
      Thirdly, the author assumes that Alpha and Beta are sufficiently similar so that - i# u9 p8 s7 e' P# w. {
former Alpha employees could provide special value for Beta. However, we are " P0 L: k7 H% G% h4 F* Y5 ~2 A# U
informed only that Beta manufactures "some products similar to Alpha's." It is possible
% d& \! Q4 C2 z# M) ethat former Alpha employees have experience with only a small segment of Beta's 7 M7 T; b' t7 O
product line, and thus have little inside information of any value to Beta.
9 X+ z0 Z6 Z5 n" J9 h* t& M% I9 h: j% V      Finally, the claim that former Alpha employees would be motivated to compete
- {+ U+ g' Z- Q) y  Nagainst Alpha is partially unwarranted. While many of those who were laid off may be 0 H: h8 U+ O! _& }+ I
so motivated, those who retired early from Alpha probably departed on good terms with
, h! K) O  b: r" |4 k0 n" u: LAlpha, and would in any event be unmotivated to reenter the work force.
% X2 K* j. [" ?& M1 G7 f8 k      In conclusion, the argument fails to provide key facts needed to assess it. To better 5 `1 C2 b, }; h9 J1 ~; B& t, y8 {! L# L
evaluate the director's suggestion, we would need more information about why Alpha 0 K- W+ I6 j7 f0 Q2 J! m
reduced its work force, what type of workers left Alpha and under what circumstances, 0 h4 i0 {, A$ H+ P$ l' @: x6 ]
and how similar Alpha's range of products is to Beta's.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 06:58 , Processed in 0.256574 second(s), 21 queries .