立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 159|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文九

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
69.        The company's marketing department recommends discontinuing a deluxe air & ]" V9 E9 S* p: o' |* s
filter and concentrating advertising efforts on an economy filter, which requires
5 X1 z8 T" J3 N- I5 jreplacement more often than the deluxe model. This recommendation is based on ; n7 t0 p6 G* }
reports showing that sales of economy filters, and company profits, have dropped * ?5 V5 a9 K) g# k/ t% j; t7 J
significantly since the company began manufacturing and marketing the deluxe filter six
' |/ ?: a$ ^$ J: v5 k8 L* Jmonths ago. The marketing department's argument is specious in three important 4 I! `; _( c+ L. k2 q
respects.
" D+ }9 Y: c! ?& c      First, the marketing department assumes that if the company discontinues the new 2 u4 D4 k+ x# Y* M( ~! U8 n
deluxe air filter, customers will resume buying its economy filter. This assumption may : c; h1 H  Q* R0 `, }
not be correct. Customers who prefer the deluxe model may do so because it requires   w% J+ n' l, l1 @. l3 v, s( l
replacement less often. Thus, instead of buying the company's economy filters again,
, v* h5 x% f, t) Q0 e/ B" mthese customers may just as likely turn to a competitor for a product similar to the
2 x  S, y& V$ _" xdeluxe model. In this event, the result would be lower profits.( y3 c' ?/ X! U% t( v
      Secondly, the marketing department fails to recognize alternative strategies that
) S7 @  x, `0 ]might enhance profits more than discontinuing the deluxe filter would. It is possible that
8 L% W8 j  N! m' ylowering the price of the economy model, raising the price of the deluxe model, or both,
3 a' N6 i' S) i6 I: z, Fmay actually maximize profits. A lower-priced economy filter might lure customers $ R8 Y: V# U8 [) z/ `2 D+ P
from competing products and retain current customers. At the same time, buyers of the 0 a! ]" j, c8 t/ `  M* e0 O
deluxe model may place a premium value on its convenience and may be willing to pay
* v) x2 A& T- D: san even higher price for the filter.- z, q# }- w, D7 j  x( r) u- b8 C( S
      Thirdly, the marketing department unfairly assumes that the availability of its 1 `/ R, V, R  I
deluxe filter is the cause of decreasing profits. It is equally possible that other factors,
, B" @3 ]: X& z- i& e  u' B( ]' Z8 Csuch as increased competition or supply prices, or decreased demand for these kinds of ) }/ w; q/ T3 {  Q8 g2 u8 J
filters generally, are responsible for the decrease in profits. If so, discontinuing the / g% T( @$ M$ X3 |
deluxe filter may not serve to maximize, or even enhance, the company's profits.2 ]" j1 z0 k2 L5 H2 c
      In conclusion, the department's argument for discontinuing the deluxe filter is 6 E9 n% ^) _6 p6 F+ W
weak because the department has not considered the possible adverse consequences of
% X6 f5 `* S- q1 u6 b* b/ ^% C1 cdoing so, or the alternatives to doing so. Moreover, the department has failed to 8 `$ U4 k* f$ i  X% Z
establish a clear causal connection between the availability of the deluxe filter and ' Y. s- T6 G, |# U+ U6 w/ ?1 L# [
decreasing profits. To strengthen its argument, the department must consider and rule
8 c0 J2 J0 M& C  _2 t7 F) dout pricing adjustments as a better strategy to maximize profits, and must provide better 0 A5 d% b9 K& H+ E& @1 E2 b
evidence that the deluxe filter is the cause of the decrease in profits.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 14:01 , Processed in 0.185549 second(s), 21 queries .