立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 100|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文十五

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
75.        The author of this government agency memorandum argues that the government ' ~' O8 a  C0 r1 ]) p
should not spend any money this year fixing the bridge that crosses the Styx River, / w1 U% J- A& z: }
given the limited resources available for building and repair of roads and bridges. The
3 p( ?% ^7 r+ P8 v* Y4 N" Q: Sauthor reasons that this bridge is less important than others because it is located near a
7 w4 t) I: b/ S6 }3 F! Ycity with a weakening economy, and because the city's small population is unlikely to   n- J5 Y/ `  y) R$ C
contribute enough tax revenue to Justify fixing their bridge. This argument is
7 b6 a) [' R6 z& z5 J$ z' o. @3 Y+ K9 Punconvincing for four reasons.
6 q: J6 L& b! B      First of all, the author unfairly assumes that the importance of a bridge is
% @9 `6 l$ c& P7 ydetermined solely by the economic condition of nearby cities. This assumption
" b2 i' W* o* toverlooks other criteria for determining a bridge's importance—such as the number of ; w2 z& F$ [% w" B' V6 z# F: }
commuters using the bridge, the role of the bridge in local emergencies and disasters, / d/ w5 ?8 ?: A+ q! P
and the impact that bridge closure would have on the economies of nearby cities.
% e; f2 K3 h  HWithout accounting for these other potential factors, the author fails to provide a
8 g9 H- E9 _4 N# |$ c- gconvincing argument that the Styx River Bridge is unimportant.6 f) |, U2 P: X  `; l4 c! A% F+ B
      Secondly, the author fails to provide any evidence that other bridges are more 4 d1 M& K# |4 h# t5 ~- L
important than the Styx River Bridge. Without such evidence, we cannot accept the
1 M4 a! m# p" Z6 Xauthor's conclusion that no government funds should be directed toward maintaining 3 h- V, ?1 V8 n7 H' k. E% p; @: {
the Styx River Bridge.1 h. |& }- i; ~
      Thirdly, the fact that the nearby city has a weakening economy does not prove that . ~& R0 S. E" ?. F/ q3 s- h; I
the city will not contribute significantly to tax revenues. Perhaps tax revenues are based 4 M/ m2 r# n( x
on property taxes, which are not related directly to economic conditions. If so, and if " s- T3 T# X9 Y& @
property values and taxes are high in this nearby city, then the city would contribute 6 ]+ l8 _% l% H
significantly to tax revenues, and the bridge would be important to maintain those 0 _# V  i3 I9 _% N5 x) W  w
property values and the revenues they generate.
6 x1 Z5 e! J3 q& f9 x9 W; }- i      Finally, the author assumes that a city should receive government services 3 l; W* G  D: `! v9 ]
commensurate with the tax dollars it contributes. Substantiating this assumption
' Z$ L8 |+ v& H! c& crequires examining the proper duty of government. However, the author provides no 4 }# J) d) U5 l
such examination. Accordingly, this assumption is simply an unproven claim.
7 m8 `4 |) b1 n  P6 H* c      In conclusion, this editorial fails to substantiate its claim that the Styx River
+ |0 [# m* W+ m( D5 Q0 ~Bridge is not important enough for the government to spend tax dollars to maintain and , X  v7 E' B, d9 C
repair it. To strengthen the argument, the author must account for other factors that also
! M+ k5 p3 U; t: f8 ddetermine a bridge's importance, and must compare the importance of this bridge
8 F  Z* x* |0 |' I+ Grelative to other bridges.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 14:04 , Processed in 0.272986 second(s), 21 queries .