立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 96|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文十二

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
72.        Based upon sales reports over a three-month period that indicate an increase in ; J& U* L6 x, q" ~
profits for stores that sell products for the home and a decrease in profits for clothing 5 R/ {6 @9 u+ f  H
stores, the business manager of a department store concludes that consumers are 0 x- \# G$ [) M# J9 L4 S% H
choosing to purchase home furnishings rather than clothing. On the basis of this ; {* P  I7 E/ `; q1 g
conclusion, the manager recommends a reduction in the size of the clothing department 7 q$ X$ Q$ z  ~, H5 V# N: u# l
and an increase in the size of the home-furnishings department. This recommendation is " n% ^% \" H, ~; q6 A
problematic in two critical respects.
3 d8 Y; {' b' \. h0 ?' e5 j/ @      In the first place the author's conclusion that consumers are choosing to buy
9 l* b4 l6 t4 }/ ?products for their homes instead of clothing is based upon too small a sample. Data 2 i) x+ |2 A( F( X7 i
gathered from a three-month period is insufficient to establish the conclusion drawn ) R  t/ a) i! e7 ]
from it. It is quite possible that the three-month period chosen is idiosyncratic and not 9 ?( a! u/ u1 B) z: \# C( ]" b* o
representative of entire year's sales. If so, reducing the size of the clothing departments . `( k4 P8 k" t- ^( t: f
and enlarging the home-furnishings departments may be a costly mistake.3 Y4 A1 J( T5 I% W( A/ j# L
      In the second place, the data collected during the three month period may be
6 m6 O7 Q, p1 U9 m! |' qbiased. The fact that the data reflects sales in local stores is cause for concern. It is
$ @, {. ~; z" }3 k1 Qpossible that the sales trend in a particular location is not representative of sales in other # K* y  \) C5 a( H+ e) A+ j
regions. For example, sales of clothing in Florida during the winter months are likely to   j3 H  p5 r% d
be quite different from sales of clothing in Alaska during the same period.
* j7 ]6 }! R( o) y$ |1 |. j* o      In conclusion, this argument is not persuasive as it stands. A more convincing
) [* C! ~3 b5 f. I9 l$ \% W! i& a! qargument must provide additional sales data, collected at different periods of the year & r  ]& P1 ?  j* o1 u6 @
and at different locations, that substantiates the trend in question.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 11:50 , Processed in 0.321673 second(s), 21 queries .