立即注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,访问微社区

查看: 106|回复: 0

[考试辅导] GMAT考试写作指导:Argument范文二三

[复制链接]
发表于 2012-8-15 21:50:16 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
83.        This editorial asserts that West Cambria should not change its highway speed " _* ~, p  M& N$ Z
limits because such changes adversely affect driver alertness and are therefore : h, P$ y% B% x) C( H
dangerous. To support this claim, the editorial cites statistics indicating that whenever
; S' Z3 {& X& C) nEast Cambria changed its speed limits, an average of 3 percent more automobile
# b# u* N6 V: R$ p: B5 maccidents occurred during the week after the change than during the week preceding it, 1 M$ i  H- M2 I2 n- M& M6 u
even when the speed limit was lowered. As it stands, this argument suffers from three & ~  R# G; @# B- G) \! c5 R
critical flaws.: O/ v! q- A) _* K
      First, it is unlikely that the brief one-week periods under comparison are
- G' [. L2 Y' r* H9 @representative of longer time periods. A difference of only 3 percent during one
9 d+ q5 `3 t: T7 h2 cparticular week can easily be accounted for by other factors, such as heavy holiday
! ?( |. S8 V, T7 [2 D  @, Htraffic or bad weather, or by problems with reporting or sampling. Had the editorial
6 N- ^* I& x2 [indicated that several speed-limit changes in East Cambria contributed to the statistic,
* e8 }0 w1 e) ~% s4 j2 ?) S3 N1 Z) P  \the argument would be more convincing; but for all we know, the statistic is based on * H: Y  T/ ?$ r5 D: c
only one such change. In any event, a one-week period is too brief to be representative 5 H, S" `+ r6 c$ B( P/ Y. {9 ^) V
because it is likely that accidents will occur more frequently immediately following the " }' Z1 v( b" Y1 m$ o  T
change, while people adjust to the new limit, than over the longer term when drivers 5 w. p, B6 v/ ?, x! K. f! m+ t
have become accustomed to the change.9 c' m( `2 p3 F* i/ h
      Secondly, the editorial fails to acknowledge possible differences in the types of
! S- A: |1 o& H7 Waccidents occurring before and after the change. It is possible that the accidents during : Z7 E2 [7 J! H7 U7 o3 R
the week before the change all involved fatalities, while those during the week after the
: r! i" Z7 K; g5 e! U  Nchange were minor fender-benders. If so, even though 3 percent more accidents
+ |9 i* O, @, X+ C6 _occurred after the change, the author's argument that changing the speed limit increases
4 O" _1 y( e% k2 V! Ndanger for drivers would be seriously weakened.
7 ]7 q8 I+ m1 V2 Z/ b      Thirdly, the editorial fails to take into account possible differences between East
3 z8 U& h+ l* @3 e) f4 pand West Cambria that are relevant to how drivers react to speed-limit changes. Factors
& E+ C9 T* {4 S" l: h; Ksuch as the condition of roads, average age and typical driving habits of residents, and " [- y" r6 @" x6 q9 f* x0 I
weather patterns, would probably affect how well or how quickly drivers adapt to
! k8 ]; l4 ~  L! A! `8 _speed-limit changes. Thus, changing speed limits in East Cambria might be more
+ i& F& H7 m+ {dangerous than changing them in West Cambria.( z) q  Y* S& e
      In conclusion, the statistical evidence cited to support the argument is
5 o+ y+ k. B5 o+ o) h& m5 v: P: d% finsignificant and probably unrepresentative. To better evaluate the argument, we need to
8 o7 m4 _2 x3 U/ k$ E1 C8 Sknow how many speed-limit changes contributed to the statistic and when the speed-3 g" o' ~& H6 }5 E! T
limit changes were made. Finally, to strengthen the argument the author should show 4 x. H* p) Q/ K) H! O$ i- D7 a2 Q
that East and West Cambria would be similarly affected by speed-limit changes.
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

Archiver|手机版|小黑屋|Woexam.Com ( 湘ICP备18023104号 )

GMT+8, 2024-5-5 12:50 , Processed in 0.397292 second(s), 21 queries .